EC Draw

limbo

All jokes aside, this is a good moment to face Germany. It's one of the weaker German squads we've seen in decades.

On the other hand, this is a EC AND the rivalry will play a big part in the outcome, so perhaps those statistics won't be of great importance.

I wish Kahn had decided to retire a way bit sooner, hehe :)

IMO Spain have become weaker than it already was while Portugal have brought some fresh and new talent into the group. Can't see my nation going down to those bullfighters. ::

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, you are probably right. Germany recently lost a friendly game against France 3:0. And I think, they were very lucky last year during the WC (Imo, they are not the worlds second best). Definitely an interesting group.

USA should have beaten Germany in the WC...okay, no flames unless you actually saw the game. Anyway, is it the group winners only that go on or do the 2nd place country go on as well?

Limbo, is the German/Dutch rivalry recent or does it have historical significance? I know Germany knocked them out in one of the competitions but a little history of the rivalry if you will.

It seems that the French and English on our club had a little light banter before the Fulham game when the groups were finally announced. I have a feeling Sol and Henry will mix it up in the game. Sol will play Henry aggressively. Cole wants no part of him.

The good thing is I'll have Euro 2004 to ease the fact there is no EPL for a few months, the bad part is our French players will once again have no rest over the summer. It will affect us next year.

[color:"orange"] Hi Steve,

This rivalry stems very simple from WWII. In polls it turns out that generation after generation the Germans are least liked.....

When Holland lost the WC finals in 74 the nation was shattered.

When Holland than in 96 beat Germany in the semi finals of the EC, it was almost a bigger celebration than beating the Russians in the finals, since we finally had that feeling that we could beat that almost unbeatable but boring German team.

Koeman wiped his behind with a German shirt after the game.

In a later game, Rijkaard spat into Voellers hair.

Always a game where the tempers rise high.

These glory days for the Germans are over tho, since a few years they struggle to get good teams on the pitch.

Not that the Dutch are much better tho :( [/color]

Zaad said:

The Belgians come after the Germans

Zaad,

I guess you are too young to know or to remember, the competition between our 2 countries is a very healthy one, not covered with deep-rooted origins in the WWII.

Do remember last Worldcup all Dutch did root for us, and do remember next year we will root for you guys, so lighen up :)

Sometimes we won, sometimes you lost :dunno::beer:

Cheers !

Archived