The high cost of laundry

gobbledonk

As we all know, the only thing more expensive than room service in most hotels is the mini-bar, but in-house laundry services would have to come a close third. I was horrified on my last trip to southern China to find that none of the commercial laundries would take my laundry : it had to come from the hotel I was staying at ! This is an ethos that runs throughout China - help thy brothers and sisters relieve tourists of their cash.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll have more luck in Jakarta - just take a bag of laundry to either a laundromat or a commercial laundry and avoid the whole 'How many pairs of underpants do you have ?' deal. Soooo embarrassing when you only have two pairs, and no amount of turning them inside out relives one's discomfort :grinyes:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not so much the cost that rips my undies :o Artiew but the time!

Why does it take the standard two days to wash and dry a couple of shirts socks and jocks in the tropics?? Ok, I can understand two days for the undies! :grinyes:

I solved this problem in Pattaya by walking across the road from the Residence Garden, handing the girls my bag of steaming stench and saying, "tonight OK?"

"Yes sir."

Return four hours later and all is pressed to perfection, apart from my thongs (flip flops you fiends!) that had somehow found their way to the bottom of the bag.

A 20-40 baht tip goes a long way with these girls, the workers!

Roppongi said:

It's not so much the cost that rips my undies :o Artiew but the time!

Why does it take the standard two days to wash and dry a couple of shirts socks and jocks in the tropics??

That is IF you turn them in at some rediculous time, like before 9am (AS IF!). Also, some places in LOS, won't return your clothes unless you are there. So you may not get them while you are counting on them. Whenever I am in the room the do not disturb sign is in place. Sometimes I don't see my clean clothes for several days.

A pleasant surprise once. I was dropping off clothes at my usual laundry in Singapore, but had ripped my favorite chili shirt. When I picked it up, it was sewn! No extra charge or even mention.

Next time I went there to pick up clothes, the owner asked me if my red shirt ( a different chili shirt) was not sent this time. Well, he was right, I hadn't worn it. Humorous tho that they knew my clothes after a month.

I gave them a small present when I departed. They remembered me a year later quite fondly.

I was in Lugano last month. The hotel laundry was expensive and took 2 days. But when I went back to the room at mid day the same day I turned them in, there they were, all cleaned and pressed.

When traveling for business I don't care about the price ($5 USD for 1 pair of sox in Rugby England!). But when on my own dime, I only send out pants/shirts etc. Just buy new soxs/underwear. Cheaper. Unless in LOS and most of SEA, where it isn't too expensive and bringing to a laundry is easy.

I always have one pair of fast drying, lightweight clothes (exofficio) that I can hand wash in a pich and wear in less than a few hours.

Well most of the places I stay the laundry is good and reasonable priced. Dynasty do a good job and quick. Love to come back to the room and everything is hanging or neatly folded. ::

Biggest prob I find in LOS is finding a Dry cleaner, and at a reasonable price and service turn around. Almost quit bringing any dress clothes. :(

while i have no experience about the original destination,i have no problem in Thailand.

will always have my trousers and polo's done and i find they are returned around 6 hours later.

washed,pressed and wrapped up in a plastic bag.

would also get my Girls clothes done as well.

i was paying 25B for trousers and 15B for polos,i couldn't walk into a shop and speak to the Girl for that price in the UK.

There is no reasonable laundry in Bangkok near Nana Plaza. I've searched long and hard.

I considered opening a laundry for Farangs, wash and fold sort of place or coin operated. I posted as much on a GoGo bar and was called a CHEAP CHARLIE...

Laundries around the tourist area will charge 30baht a shirt, polo etc.. Shorts also 30baht. ABSURD however the service is good.

I'm still considering opening a laundry near Nana Plaza for farangs who don't like getting ripped off.

Nok the Kook

Open a coin operated place, or a do it yourself. I can see a few young girls offering their laundry services on a tip basis. Then, you'll need something to do while the clothes are washing/drying, so why not a pool table or 2 and some drinks!? maybe a short time room or 2 and there you have it, BKK's first laundry bar! new twist on the soapt theame, seriously, it could work!

Hi,

Having done a 10 day trip to BKK for business last month I too experienced this laundry dillema. The hotel is ridicolouslly expensive. I actually wash my own underpants and socks in the room using Shampoo. I have also as some other posters mentioned found it cheaper to just buy new clothes. This is fairly easy since most of my casual wear comes from the vendors on Sukumvit anyway. I can get a new pair of Jeans for 300 Baht and to launder them is 60 Bt++.

Having to go to a laundry is just a big hassle and sometimes I am not staying long enough to pick them up a day or two later.

I do however usually have my business attire laundered at the hotel.

LL

Archived