The high cost of laundry

gobbledonk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hippie said:

Open a coin operated place, or a do it yourself. I can see a few young girls offering their laundry services on a tip basis. Then, you'll need something to do while the clothes are washing/drying, so why not a pool table or 2 and some drinks!? maybe a short time room or 2 and there you have it, BKK's first laundry bar! new twist on the soapt theame, seriously, it could work!

These are not uncommon in the part of the world I live in. In fact the barkeep puts a timer down with your drink so you remember when it is time to get your clothes out. :up:

I guess the short time room would have to wait for the 'Dry Cycle' :neener

Thanks to everyone who posted - I'm surprised at the response ! I will ensure that I mention this as part of my Jakarta trip report - I am hopeless with names, so I'll plug it all into my laptop at the end of each day.

It seems that BKK is definitely well serviced in this area - just need to know where to look and how to get prompt service. When I think about it, I guess that is what we pay for in the hotel - have it to the chambermaid by 10 and its back on your bed that night : not too shabby :)

I washed my T shirts in the sink,

I was going thru 2-3 a day sweating them up

went to foodland and bought what looked like laundry detergent, OOPs it was floor cleaner !

damn.....well the second time got the right stuff

took almost a day to dry but at least they were clean.....

>> Well most of the places I stay the laundry is good and reasonable priced. <<

Some of the (cheaper) apartments offer a free laundry too. I have no idea, why the better (expensive) the hotels/ apartments the higher the prices for the laundry are.

>>Actually, many hotels that have business suites/floors, have free laundry. <<

The better hotels I stayed in (also executive floor) usually offer a very limited free laundry (afair one shirt per day, daily free shoeshine though). I don't know, why it is so expensive/ limited in LOS.

Basically because it it a great source of revenue. Except in true 5* hotels,with 24 hr service, are any extra staff required. Housekeeping Department has little opportunities to provide direct revenue to a hotel. This is their big one. Long stay guests usually have a laundry allowance built into their long stay rate.

Basically because it it a great source of revenue

I hear ya, LHL, but its just one more area where hotels charge 'airport' prices :

* room service

* phone calls / internet / fax services

* our old fave, the dreaded mini-bar

I realise that they are in an extremely competitive space, often in the midst of cities with very high rents, but the hotel industry is notorious for paying their staff poorly whilst reaming their clients royally. Sounds like a business model to me ::

Archived