BPosts article on Adobe Photoshop 8 ?!

Palatkik

Anyone know what this guy (George Mann) is going on about in http://www.bangkokpost.com/031203_Database/03Dec2003_datacol52.html where he states says the new Adobe Photoshop 8 should not be allowed for PC users? I haven?t used a Mac before, and am quite happy with this new PC version. I could ask him direct I suppose, but as he appears to hate PC users I feel it would be a waste of time. Any comments?

Cheers.

From the article:

For more than 15 years I have been saying that Apple should buy Adobe and make the Adobe applications available only on the Mac. Once again I feel like saying it because no digital photographer (which very soon will mean all photographers) can ignore the superiority of Adobe PhotoShop for manipulating images ?..

PhotoShop CS is a milestone in software development for digital photography. And I hate it when PC users say to me: "I can do the same thing on my PC." I want PhotoShop to be an exclusively Mac product.

Very strange view indeed. It probably stems from the fact that people working with media used to pride themselves with what they could do with the macs vs. pc. When I worked with an advertisement agency about 10+ years back all work were done on Macs at all steps in the production. Adobe Photoshop (then at version 1.0!!!) and Quark Express were virtually unheard of in the PC world. -- Nowadays, it really does not matter on what platform you're working.

Well, it used to be a Mac only product (as I recall it was called Photo Styler back then), but I guess the reason Adobe is still a major player on the market is because they decided to make their products available on the PC as well.

I think this is the same guy who wrote that websites using ASP will mostly only work with Internet Explorer while PHP based websites will work on all browsers.

Probably the guy is trying to be a bit controversial and having a hard time finding something to write about.

Best regards,

Danish30

Hi Alholk,

I might be wrong and maybe it was Adobe who purchased the Photo Styler company to make their Photo Shop available on the PC platform, can't remember exactly. But I do remember that I haven't been involved with Mac since Photo Shop and Quark Express was released for PC.

Best regards,

Danish30

Hi,

"I think this is the same guy who wrote that websites using ASP will mostly only work with Internet Explorer while PHP based websites will work on all browsers."

Oh, my... and this guy is in the IT business?

Sure means I will never do business with him.

While that first statement was stupid, this one is just plain wrong.

Sanuk!

What about ASP's client side components. Aren't they tied to Microsoft's implementation of javascript? Don't they make assumptions about what the browser is capable of?

I'm not talking about PHP since PHP doesn't really give you a whole of support for generating the content as such.

I'm a Mac OSX user so I plead ignorant of ASP and Microsoft technologies on the whole.

Hi,

"What about ASP's client side components. Aren't they tied to Microsoft's implementation of javascript? Don't they make assumptions about what the browser is capable of? "

Don't know, have never used these, unless you are talking about VBScript.

"I'm not talking about PHP since PHP doesn't really give you a whole of support for generating the content as such."

Eh? Have you ever checked the manual of PHP? There are ~2,000 pages of 3rd-party addons which allow you to do pretty much anything you want.

Sanuk!

Archived