Cheap calls from the US to Thailand

zigfreed

That seems fairly good. The last time I was in the States (for about a year in 2001-2), our Sprint negotiated was $0.34/minute. Far less than the best rates by ATT & MCI ($0.46/min).

Rermember that CAT/TOT have a monoply on the communications industry in Thailand and can charge what they want. And they want big $$. This is an ongoing problem for those of us doing biz in LoS.

As I recall, we did buy phone cards. They were green/black, had a world map on them, and had Asia in the name -- but I do not remember the rate (big help, right? LOL) :dunno:.

Cheers,

SD

Try Thaitel on any of several other thai phone service providers online. I used one that charged 3 cents a minute during a recent us visit. NO problem with busy signals to get in to the system or with the quality of the phone calls themselves. Thaitel offers about a dozen different cards so compare the details of your useage (ie long calls, calls to Bkk, to cell phone, etc) for your best bargain.

I think there was one (several?) that offered one cent a minute during special hours (ie 3-5AM in Thailand) Many Asian grocery stores sell similar cards if you are near a big city that has a significant Asian population. I think most of the cheaper cards use the internet as their communication vehicle.

I tried one of those but never got it. They charged my credit card and keep sending me email (even now 2+ years later) to buy more, but no phone service or refund :(.

I do know of several folks who have had success, but my experience was extremely negative!

Cheers,

SD

I regularly buy calling cards for calling to China, and the site also has cards to Thailand starting at 8.3 cents per minute. They email you an acess code and give phone numbers to call into to acess the network. here's the link:

http://www.1stphonecard.com/phonecards.cfm?FromCountry=1&ToCountry=20

I've not had any problems with the cards I have bought and have used several different companies.

poskat

I use MCI as my LD carrier and I am charged $0.25 /min when calling from my home # or calling card. I also get charged $3 to $4 /month to keep this international plan.

I do pay a premium of $.12 /Min for LD calls within the US, but my cell plan covers these calls.

Other countries are different, but low rates (eg. HK@ $0.10/min).

Additionally, calling from LOS to the states I dial an access # and get the same rate.

Archived