Hello Bumrungrad, I'm a sanuker and ...

Catalyst

Would anyone go to Bumrungrad hospital and be forthright about sanuking, either to ask for treatment for a specific condition or perhaps just to say that you've been sanuking for a while and you thought you should get a health check? Do they ever encounter this? I would expect them to be nonjudgemental, but I would be interested to know if anyone can verify this firsthand.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are a major world class hospital that has a very large farang clientele.

So unless the rest of the Farangs have given up sanuking, I expect they deal with more sanuk related problems than most major hospitals in the west.

they are professional and good. no more need be said IMO

I definitely agree with LHL on this one.

I have been to Bumrungrad many times during the past year, including one surgery and 4 nights inpatient, and you will see plenty of farang patients. I think there are many sanukers in the mix.

I have been very impressed with the service there. I am in the US now and actually will wait until I return to Thailand for any medical care I might need.

The Bangkok Nursing Hospital on Soi Convent is very good too.

Strange how people in the health service at home turn their noses up at mention of treatment in LOS. Even private hospitals in the UK (in my experience) do not give as good a service as BRG.

Went to my local hospital yesterday for HIV test, the scruffy young doctor was wearing dirty trainers, no white coat and looked like his hair had not seen a comb in a week.Only appearences, but you would never have seen this a few years ago. Unfortunately stayed in a UK hospital once with food poisoning and the nursing care was non existant, they just left me on a bad in the clothes I went in wearing for three days without any nursing care at all.

If I ever get something serious I think I'd get straight on a plane to Bkk-peter

I'm sure that they see many farangs for sanuk related conditions and are pretty sure what they have been doing. But would a sanuker be completely candid about it? If it were me I would be inclined to admit to sex with a person I didn't know well, but to make up some story about a girl I met in a bar in some other country to save face. I would worry a little that they would then not look for some problem that occurs mainly in Thailand, although they might check anyway since they might not believe me. Even if they were pretty sure what I had been up to I would feel much more comfortable than if I had to come right out and admit it, remove all doubt, and talk about it.

Hi Catalyst,

Come on. Would you pay money to your lawyer, only to lie to him? :: How the hell will he be able to help you?

What are you scared of? That some doctor or nurse will know that you actually had sex with a Thai girl? You would only be one, out of the other 95% of the male population at that hospital, who has also done so. Including the staff, as well as some of the female ones, also. Do you really think you will shock someone there? They all hear this shit all day long. Believe it.

You're paying money to them so that they can address any potential problems that you may have. This is not the time to be playing games with them, and being wimpy.

They can help you best, and know what to look for, only if you are completely candid with them. Why do you think a doctor/patient confidentuality agreement exists? It's so you can be free to disclose your concerns, without reprisal, or having to let the world know what you are up to.

You're a sanuker! Be a man. Stand up, and be proud. Use this opportunity to your advantage. It's a perfect chance to slip that cute attending nurse your hotel business card, with your room number on the back. While explaining your many exploits to her, explain that you hate yourself, really want to be saved, and only want one woman in your life. Then tell her you are going back to your room to be by yourself for the rest of the night.

You may find that Bumrungrad has an excellent out-patient/house-call program. :grinyes:

Seriously.....pull no punches. Be totally upfront. The more knowledge they have, the better they can help you. Look at it this way: You bring your car to your mechanic, but are embarrased to tell them that whenever your auto hits 50 mph, it shuts off, and steers to the right. Wouldn't it be much easier to just tell them this, rather than them running 20 diagnostics to determine this for themselves? And what if there was a very recent outbreak of something only attributed to the specific area you were sanuking in? Telling them you were sanuking in India, rather than down the street at Nana, is doing you no good at all.

HT

Strange how people in the health service at home turn their noses up at mention of treatment in LOS. Even private hospitals in the UK (in my experience) do not give as good a service as BRG.

related to this...

There were a couple of articles about Bumrungrad hospital on two "Current Affairs" programs recently here in Oz. The first portrayed B. Hospital as a viable alternative to any western hospital (the article was looking at alternatives to Australian hospitals for elective surgery, as well as plastic surgery etc... anything not covered by the government). They recommended flying to Bangers, and haveing a great holiday with the money saved having surgery performed there. In most cases by Western Doc's as well as Thai.

The 2nd Show portrayed Bumrungrad as little better than a butcher shop with a reception desk. One couldn't help thinking if the said hospital was located in say, Singapore, the article wouldn't have been so negative. A point made by the first presenter in later articles.

Catalyst, you can go to the information desk in the daytime or the clinic at night and be seen withing a few minutes - they can do all the routine tests for sanuk-related conditions, and you can be perfectly frank with the professionals who assist you. I know, I have had such a checkup - no questions, no probems - just pay the bill.

RickF

Pardon the stereotype, but rare I've been there and not seen any what look like a sanuker getting his BG checked out. Definitely best to say exactly why you are there and every little detail. For instance, I was surprised to learn they have a "morning after" drug if you have an hiv scare. Hiding stuff will only lead to getting less optimal care and less knowledge on how to stay healthy in the future.

Archived