Spam Arrest

stumpy

Hi, I have been looking at Spam Arrest and it looks good. It accesses your inbox and examines the email. If the email is from an unknown sender it detaines it and moves it to the Spam Arrest server and emails the sender back asking them to click on a link and enter the word displayed on the page at that link. This mean there must be a human being sending the email and not a spam bot. When the verification is completed Spam Arrest moves the email back to your inbox. This only needs to happen once for each sender.

Also you can pre-approve emails adding the email addresses of your friends in advance.

Here's the link

http://www.spamarrest.com/

Anyone else use this or a similar service that works well with Yahoo Mail?

SD.

Hi,

Some problems I can see with this approach:

- you send an email for every unknown email you get, thereby increasing the amount of email on the 'Net

- by sending an email to a spammer you are confirming that your account is still valid

I use POPFile and am very happy with it. I am currently (after about 6 months), running at 98.3% accuracy.

Sanuk!

It's also a problem if you are in fact dependant on some automated e-mails (and can't be bothered to pre-approve a list of e-mail adresses).

I used K9 (similiar to POPfile) for a long time and was very happy with that. I'm now back to Eudora since they have a built-in SpamWatch which I think works slightly better.

Straycat is right, spammers are sending emails by the million, they now all about 'mailwashers' that can send a bounce to make it look like the email failed but they aren't checking, most of the time they are using fake details and return paths. Even if they do suss you are genuine once they fail the authentication Spam Arrest will delete their emails for you anyway.

Spam is an expensive nightmare.

I am lucky to be "Spamless" for the time being on a private e-mail server, but my Yahoo account gets daily spam. I overloaded my mailbox by sending myself some pics 10 days ago. I will make space in a few days and see what happens.

I suppose this "Spam Arrest" does not work on Yahoo types of email adresses???

I read on their site that feature is coming. The thing I really like about Spam Arrest is you NEVER need to go through junk mail to find if it accidentally classified things wrong. It would seem if a mail gets to you, it's authentic. If not, it's junk--very nice. The thing I don't like is $35/year. Services like this can be a victim of their own success. If it gets popular enough, it will just be a matter of time before the spammers write scripts to automatically parse and authenticate the bounced messages. But at least for now, it looks ideal for personal accounts where you just want stuff from family/friends. Could be annoying for business use as you tend to constantly have new people try to send you things and have to go through an extra hoop the first time.

Archived