IP address the same every time

Redbaron

I know a few of you lads are into this sort of thing.

Whenever i get an email from Miss Red, the IP address is exactly the same every time (reads like : 203.107.130.10). I know the IP is sort of like a registration plate on a car, ie the "identifyer" of not the computer, but the internet connection at the time. Therefore my thought is she is using an internet cafe which has some kind of permanent connection.

My conundrum is this... She says (and who am I to question this?) that she is no longer in Bangkok, but in her hometoen, Prachinburi. BUT the IP address is still this one, as used in Bangkok.

Am I crazy to think she is pulling my chain?

It sounds very unlikely that these places would have the same IP address.

On the other hand this could be the IP address of KSC's mailserver, rather than the IP of the connection.

Ok I had a little look, and each "header" shows 2 IP addresses. "X-Originating IP" and "Received from" at the end. They are always the same address, and 9/10 times over the past 6 months they are this one (203.107.130.10) but always the same number duplicated... Most of the others are "similar" to this number, other than one which starts with 169...

Red is thinking too mutt

Yep, plus the bullshit-o-meter is starting to waver since she says she is "at home" yet the IP address hasn't changed from the usual one when she was in Bangkok. Ocasionally in the past it's been a bit different, I just put that down to different internet cafes.

The IP address of the machine she's sitting at is completely, totally, 100% irrelevent to the process of transporting the email she is sending you ("received from" lines in the header).

Explanation (simplified, abridged, and tailored to this particular situation): Email transmission does not involve a connection made from the email client directly to the email server for the target domain. Instead, the email client connects to a machine at the sender's ISP and transmits the email to the sender's ISP. The sender's ISP then relays the email to the recipient. So the "received from" line reflects the ISP's server that physically connected to the email server at the recipient's ISP.

The address you gave is in fact allocated to ksc. It's highly plausible that a large ISP such as ksc would assign particular accounts to particular outbound mail servers, and also that they maintain a small number of such servers anyway. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable for the "received from" line to be the same every time she sends you an email from a ksc account, regardless of where she's sending it from.

The "X-Originating-From" address is more interesting. That is a *comment* that may be inserted by some email clients and can in fact indicate the IP address of the machine where the email was composed. But the address that starts with 169 is probably an autoconfigured IP address -- a feature of certain Windows OSes -- and so probably tells you nothing. In any case that one would be more likely to change as she moves from cafe to cafe. However if that's a private range (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc) or autoconfigured address, then it doesn't really tell you anything.

Archived