A bargirl's standing in the village

MaiLuk

Hi folks. The following is hypothetical but....

Let's say a bargirl returns home for a period of two weeks. She gives the appropriate amount of money to the temple. She pays the appropriate respect to her parents. She throws the expected party for her friends and relatives. She doesn't get drunk, she doesn't smoke, she doesn't gamble. She doesn't skite around and sleep with the horny young lads of the village. She doesn't boast or act superior because she has 'prospered' in the big city. She basically behaves in a pleasant and dignified manner in her own village. She would surely be regarded more highly than one who returns and commits all the above 'sins'.

And let's not forget that anywhere in the world, moral behaviour is not the main criteria for social standing, its money, money, money, nothing but money.

I sometimes believe that Thai's differ very little in values and behaviour, but that we in the West are clouded by Romantic notions and less burdened by economic factors.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"But certainly not all. Every night Itv picks a certain family or person upcountry that don't have anything at all. Requests are put out for contributions. Kids with stomachs swollen through malnutrition etc."

Aye, but one can say that about any country, even economically mighty USA. Spent any time in the inner city of any rustbelt city or in the Appalachians? Same same.

BTW, thanks for the Swiss village insight. If not too personal, how do you know all this? I know you said that you deal with the debris...

Cheers,

SD

To address the money issue, all money was used to rebuild dad's home. I saw it and it was about 3/4 done in october. However it worked with Switzerland, dad borrowed against his 300,000 teacher retirement and that is what she feels she still owes. When I was up there both mom and dad had gold around their necks and on the wrists.

I also know that dad attempted to get her a visa to go work in Israel in a brothel. This was in process when I first met her but she could not get the visa because when they saw three entries to Switzerland in a year I am sure they figured out her purpose and she was denied.

Apparently, dad drew up the cost of raising her, her younger sister, and younger brother and that is part of her "debt."

To make matters worse, I have been to brother's apartment just outside of Bangkok. He works in auto delivery, is married with one kid and a decent place. His salary is 35,000 a month which is big time for Thais, yet he pays NOTHING to the parents. He is excused because he has his own family.

Her body is wearing out fast. I saw it last night. She has a persistent cough and looks like she will not last too much longer in tha bar. I cannot help her out of this because there would be no end to it. I look at her daughter and wonder what is in store for her. She is not even 12 but is beautiful by any standards.

Please do not think I am condemning the whole industry. There are many girls who enjoy the attention, the gold, the fast life.

I was taken for a bit of a ride by my Seraphum beauty. I just wish my monety would have wound up in her lap instead of that prick of a father...

suadum said:

Not wrath, but pity. Are you really that naive to think these people are impoverished? Poverty is defined by not having the basic human needs: food, clothings, shelter. I have never had a bar girl tell me that they had any problem with those and any trip to Issan will show that folks do have the basics covered.

What they want are luxury items. This is what makes it disgusting to sell or force daughters into the P4P trade. Daddy and brothers are too lazy to do anything, but want a new motocy and pickup and gold and a big house. They do not NEED those things, just want. And those THINGS are worth more than their own children/siblings. Where did the people that do this get their warped sense of values? Advertising/marketing/Western media? Maybe, prolly, dunno.

Regards,

SD

Sorry to disagree here.

My gf parents still are poor, albeit a lot less since 3 daughters were sent to Bangkok.

When she was 13, she worked on the land keeping the buffallo and her farther told her "if the buffallo dies, I will kill you".

When she was 18 she was sent to Bangkok with two other sisters to work as maids. Objective: build a house, cost 200k baht. Later they worked to pay for the waterpump etc etc.

Today the parents have shelter, nothing more. No money for food. Father goes to his land on a 30 year old bycicle without brakes or pedals etc etc. They do have a small TV and take care of a child from one of the 4 daughters.

He did buy 6 more rai of land last year and is indebted to pay x every year. Seems I paid my part for two years....

I never said affluent. I implied self-sufficient. You keep changing words and adding catagories to suit your argument. Stop it

--------------------

I am sorry, but you implied that all moneys were to buy needless items, except to suit their vanities and greed for consumerism. As Thalenoi just posted before me, thsi is just not true.

You also think Issan people's life is just about having enough to eat, a roof over their head, what the hell do they need antthing else. I dunno.... Surely, you've had more interest in the changes that happened in Thailand over the last 30 years. Even your argument that it is not a 3rd worl country could be used to show that we're not talking African savannah here.

You also pointed in another thread that they live by the day, to which I add, so with their money. Hence, for the big majority, sending not that much back home.

We had the argument before about 3rd W Thailand. Developping does not mean one is not a 3rd world country still. I dunno, give a call to the Economist BKK bureau, and ask them what they think. I will follow suit.... Maybe! :hubba:

If one were working in the ghetto of Detroit or in Applachia, one would have the same impression of the States.

-------------------------------------

I really think that you have a rosy picture of Thailand outside its city centers. Again, i claim no misery, but if i want to hear about people losing income, unable to repay debts, unemployed, or barely schooled, struggling every month, well, Thailand is it.

I dunno, that the BGs become vain, sure, even anyone who comes to the city and starts dreaming, but back in many villages, not that many things are changed for the majority of their families. Not every Issan village is Swiss or dotted with tiled floor houses with a shiny pick-up in front. And not every family has daughters "working men", of course.

IMO, and bit IME.

No worries mate. The onsey-twoseys will beat me every time. I will defer to your superior understanding of culture from your comfy cottage in one of the most expensive cities on Earth. Ignore me, as you obviously know more than me with a few references!

Cheers,

SD

BKKexile,

"Let's say a bargirl returns home for a period of two weeks. She gives the appropriate amount of money to the temple. She pays the appropriate respect to her parents. She throws the expected party for her friends and relatives. She doesn't get drunk, she doesn't smoke, she doesn't gamble. She doesn't skite around and sleep with the horny young lads of the village. She doesn't boast or act superior because she has 'prospered' in the big city. She basically behaves in a pleasant and dignified manner in her own village. She would surely be regarded more highly than one who returns and commits all the above 'sins'."

Actually you've just described my own wife here. I think "most" of the ladies behave this way.

Cent

p.s. Although hanging about with me has been a bad influence it seems. She has a beer with me now and then, and we play the street lottery daily number every day for about a hundred baht total between the two of us.

>>Spent any time in the inner city of any rustbelt city or in the Appalachians? Same same.<<

No, My Banjo Playing sucks ;)

>>BTW, thanks for the Swiss village insight. If not too personal, how do you know all this?<<

Because my present gf was involved in it all. I had been living with her for a year or so when all of a sudden we were expected to break up because it was time for her to go. Well she didn't want to go so without going into too many details its enough to say we fought the system.

Archived