well it seems 1am closing now

keith doug

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is this going to help accomplish their implied objective(s) (since there was no objective given)? How do any of the MORONIC reasons given for this decision relate to what happens between 1-2am?

Their reasons and subsequent action are incongruent. Boneheads.

christo23 said:

It´s all a matter of perspective, compared to no closing time it sucks. Compared to a 10. PM closing it´s still a whole lot better.

I suspect they never meant 10pm as a serious option and just included it to make themselves seem more reasonable when people sighed with relief that it wasn't chosen. Now, we're just waiting for the 3 official gogo cover-up options:

a) bikinis all the time

B) granny bikinis only (no arse-cheeks)

and c) girls have to dance covered in crusty old dog shit.

Phew, we're going to sigh with relief when they don't choose c) ::

Reminds me of an Eddie Izzard line:

"...you haven't been smoking in a bar in California, that's for certain!" ?Cause you can't! No, no smoking in bars now, and soon, no drinking and no talking..." ::

But i had to laugh there trying to in crease tourists in 2004 that wont happen..

------------------------

It will, the Asian tourist market is expanding, and i think they pay attention to the market studies about this specific corner of tourist revenues more than the loss in revenues around Suk, Pattaya Beach Rd.

You are wrong! TRT are serious about the 10pm closing of ALL entertainment venues. This has exceptionally nothing to do with him disliking farangs or the bar scene etc.

The reason behind this is pure egoism of the PM. He wants to tame the rotten, rich kids of the Thai elite, who regularly are responsible for bar brawls, drug offenses, drunk driving and many other misbehaviors including the shooting of police officer as many of you might remember. In the eyes of this extremely conservative ruling elite they are a disgrace for their families - Big loose of face for the parents. So the discussed curfew is his attempt to bring them on the path of virtue again and don?t let them go party and riots anymore. Will it change anything? Of course not! Prohibitions and controls can?t replace a decent education. He doesn?t give a shit, if this will have a negative impact on tourism and will costs thousands of jobs and throw thousands of people into poverty. The Thai-Chinese ruling class never cared about the normal people except once every 4 years when they needed their votes.

According to my information (from influential Thai-Chinese business colleagues) they will first go for 1am closing hour, as this is according to the existing law and can be introduced very fast. As stated today in the Bangkok Post we can expect this to happen already after Chinese New Year next month. However, the TRT party will push for a 10pm curfew, as only such a closing time will prevent their kids from partying/rioting in clubs, pubs, bars or discos. But therefore they have to change the law, which might take some time, but if the PM is reelected in 2004 I would bet on it to come sooner or later. Then it is finally time to pack my back and leave the country for good. :(

Archived