well it seems 1am closing now

keith doug

"Yes according to bangkok post of christmas day ..It would seem that from 22january everything will close at 1am..... and next year emmm middnight and the following year..( a thought)"

So far, there has been a slow systematic approach in reducing the nightlife hours in steps. I was hoping for an 8pm closing, at about the same time the new airport opens :doah: Now that would be good for a laugh ::

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading somewhere that the official closing time has always been 1am- that's why when Purachai began the first crackdown the bars were closing at 1, following the letter of the law.

Doesn't make much of a difference to me anyway... I rarely am out at 2am wishing that I could stay out longer. More often than not I'm hoping that the place will hurry up and shut so I can take my date home for the evening.

Cheers!

PSILVERS here...

On my last trip, I heard the PM's son is one of the owners a new bar somewhere in the Sukhumvit area which is supposed to attract the rich Thai kids. If the PM is trying to kill off the nightlife, he will be at odds with his own son.

PSILVERS

psilvers said:On my last trip, I heard the PM's son is one of the owners a new bar somewhere in the Sukhumvit area which is supposed to attract the rich Thai kids. If the PM is trying to kill off the nightlife, he will be at odds with his own son.

A couple of months ago Q Bar and BED were closing early... like midnight. BED had its one-year anniversary party raided by the police, which put the damper on things. Unsurprisingly I heard that Thaksin's son's place (somewhere down soi 31 or 33 from memory) was able to stay open later somehow.

Cheers!

1 am is the "official" closing time, and I believe for a short while a couple of years back under Purachai it was enforced at least in some places.

In Hua Hin, where I live, the closing time under a bye-law is supposedly midnight. Two years ago it was rigidly enforced and it hit the bars hard. Last year a backhander to the police resulted in a 2am closing rigidly enforced. Business improved.

The cops were stopped from taking backhanders so now dont bother to enforce closing times, bars stay open if they have customers, quietening down if not shutting down after 2am. Although it has been quieter in the last couple of months than normal, the bars are now as busy as I have ever seen them.

A lot of this will be down to law enforcement. I think that a change in the laws to restrict closing times, while being the intention, maybe a while in the coming at worst.

Hardy641 said:

You are wrong! TRT are serious about the 10pm closing of ALL entertainment venues...

Well, I may be. But if they do it, they're going to turn themselves into a laughing stock. They may be feeling full of tourists now and, of course, the full effects of this change would take some time to work through the system but I can't picture any tourists being happy at being told to go to bed at 10pm when they're on their holidays. Sex tourist/normal couples/backpackers/family groups or pensioners - none of them will be impressed. News will feed back. Tourist growth will soon be stolen by other, just as beautiful but more relaxed alternatives. (Anyone been to Angkor Wat, for example, and thought that it deserves more visitors? Frankly, it pisses on most of Thailand's sights. For beaches there are other destinations in the same region. If people in those places see what's happening and start to compete...Actually, with authoritarian 10pm curfews and police doing 2000 extra-judicial shootings a year around them, tourists may as well flock to Burma.)

Anyway, the millions of Thais who depend on the tourist industry will notice this drop, the reason for it and, hopefully, vote him out. (That's my dream anyway, folks. :))

One has to wonder about the thought processes of the government. Are they serious about closing the bars at 10pm? This will alienate just about everyone who comes to the Kingdom. I have spoken to many farang who live here and they all say the same, if that happens they will all leave. Myself included.

Why would a tourist travel so far if they cannot go out and have a good time. I cant really see a family travelling so far when they cannot even enjoy their holiday. They will just go to the likes of Spain.

And what about Thais who like to go out and have a few beers at the weekend, after a hards week slog.

I forsee some worrying times for Thailand, if this trend continues what will happen next?

"Who knows if the government will eventually try to enforce 10 pm closings, but I think it is quite a stretch to suggest that it is sensible policy."

Read my post again, I did not say anything about 10 pm being sensible. I can't imagine that it is going to be imposed. I am talking about 1 am or maybe 12.

Archived