well it seems 1am closing now

keith doug

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The "Big-Buck" people in the Oriental also might want to have a late dinner or a Mai-Tai or two after 10 pm, me thinks."

Well, but its 1 am closing isn't it Christo?

I can not imagine that 10 pm will happen at all, maybe 12 will. When I talk of other tourists groups, the Oriental ones is not the only ones I have in mind. Its become a destination for family holidays, backpackers and you name it.

I do not think 1 am closing will have much effect on people when they choose Thailand or not. Airline tickets prices this xmas have been higher than what I have seen before (flights full), and I do not think its all horny single males...

Cheers!

It won't matter that much when it comes to the tourist income. In the long run, Thailand are better off closing those bars anyway...

Its not fools who have decided this, they have a pretty good idea of who spend the bucks on holiday. The traditional single males do not make the high percentage like they used to.

Interesting, but automatically self-justifying (and therefore unpersuasive) policy argument: "Its not fools who have decided this, they have a pretty good idea of who spend the bucks on holiday." Extended to its logical conclusion, whenever any government makes a policy decision, that policy decision is necessarily right because, hey, they have they have the facts ("they have a pretty good idea of who spend the bucks on holiday") and aren't fools.

Every government makes foolish policy decisions, and to avoid an argument about the merits of the current government, I will simply observe that if you accept this modest axiom, you also have to agree that a sensible discussion about the merits of this policy decision cannot begin and end on the mere fact that a particular government made that policy decision.

In many countries popular with tourists, they don't even have their evening meal until around or after 10 p.m. I doubt that your claim "the traditional single males do not make the high percentage like they used to" is true, but it really does not matter because the broad sweep of this policy will annoy more than single male tourists. Indeed, judging from some of the comments here, this policy will probably annoy other groups even more.

TAT's objective for next year is a 20% increase in tourism. Thailand is spending a small fortune on a new international airport to attract tourists. Thailand's labour force is not skilled or productive enough to attract high paying jobs, and even if the proposed new changes to the educational system do work, it will take a generation before those changes begin to yield dividends. The night time industry, on the other hand, allows people with relatively low skills to earn substantially more than they could otherwise earn. Unreasonable prohibitions and limits on consensual behavior fuel selective enforcement and corruption, particularly in countries where the rule of law is thin (which, of course, is not the case in Thailand ::) Shouldn't the market (customers and bar owners) decide operating hours? Why should we interfere with the market on this issue? Exactly what policy objectives is an earlier closing time going to acheive? There are so many obvious starting points for objecting to the proposed earlier closing times that I don't know where to begin. :dunno:

Who knows if the government will eventually try to enforce 10 pm closings, but I think it is quite a stretch to suggest that it is sensible policy.

I must confess that the 0100 hrs. closing time won't be a problem for me as I usually start to long for my bed by that time. However, I agree that it will be quite a serious impact in a city known around the world for its night life.

It seems to me that the PM's main concern focuses on young Thais, not tourists. Thus, it would make some sense to allow bars/clubs in tourist areas such as Pattaya and Patong so keep open later.

The PM appears to be a great admirer of Singapore. Why doesn't he simply introduce similar bar hours as pertain in that country?

Archived