well it seems 1am closing now

keith doug

Shouldn't the market (customers and bar owners) decide operating hours? Why should we interfere with the market on this issue? Exactly what policy objectives is an earlier closing time going to acheive?

------------------------------

WEll, there are many capitalist free markets where the gvnmt interferes on this issue, like California. I know i can have a beer on the street in LOS, but it's illegal in the US, except for the unsavoury wino brownbag holders. Gvnmtsd love to interfere, anywhere. Control....

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly what policy objectives is an earlier closing time going to acheive? There are so many obvious starting points for objecting to the proposed earlier closing times that I don't know where to begin.

A starting point to 'obect' or 'reason' would normally stem from the basis of an argument, the problem appears to be with the 'absense' of one. We still don't know WHY they want to close early and what they hope to achieve by doing so.

So until then...

Stew said:
Exactly what policy objectives is an earlier closing time going to acheive? There are so many obvious starting points for objecting to the proposed earlier closing times that I don't know where to begin.

A starting point to 'obect' or 'reason' would normally stem from the basis of an argument, the problem appears to be with the 'absense' of one. We still don't know WHY they want to close early and what they hope to achieve by doing so.

So until then...

Sure we do. The official line is that enforcing early closing times will curb teenage drug use and promiscuity. Now what the "REAL" reason is who knows?

"I have spoken to many farang who live here and they all say the same, if that happens they will all leave. Myself included."

Surely you are joking? Leave here ! If the bars were shut 24 hours a day I wouldn't leave. Many of us live here because we enjoy the society, culture, weather, family. I would imagine very few live here just so they can drink until 2 AM. Its normal in any business to push for better pickings "up market" Thaksin is just doing that. I would do the same thing, who needs the dross you see hanging around Beach rd at night, drinking from their Beer Chang bottles ?

Guest lazyphil

<<who needs the dross you see hanging around Beach rd at night, drinking from their Beer Chang bottles ?>>

Bit harsh Fatbastard isn't it--who are you to question who is desirable or not to holiday in the kingdom ::--the dross you speak of patronise a whole host of hotels, eateries, bars, taxi firms, dive schools, jet ski operators etc and obviously keep Thai people employed--perhaps they can ask this question?--I'm sure they know the answer--(we do!)

Fatbastard said:

"I have spoken to many farang who live here and they all say the same, if that happens they will all leave. Myself included."

Surely you are joking? Leave here ! If the bars were shut 24 hours a day I wouldn't leave. Many of us live here because we enjoy the society, culture, weather, family. I would imagine very few live here just so they can drink until 2 AM. Its normal in any business to push for better pickings "up market" Thaksin is just doing that. I would do the same thing, who needs the dross you see hanging around Beach rd at night, drinking from their Beer Chang bottles ?

I find that along with many originating in Europe that we don't need or want a "nanny" state to tell us when to have a beer or go to bed.

I occasionally like to drink very late. I spend a lot of money in LOS. I never, even when in Pattaya, drink on the streets. I don't drink Beer Chang.

Also, whilst I am well known as no lover of cheap charlies, all you residents have a better Thailand to live in thanks to the income derived through tourism, including the "dross" you describe. In this forum, I suggest that a large part of the income derived from board members has a high correlation to the availability of places selling alcoholic beverages and their associated attractions. Very simply, people just don't want to be told what to do.

"In this forum, I suggest that a large part of the income derived from board members has a high correlation to the availability of places selling alcoholic beverages and their associated attractions. "

Please tell me how the income of people working Construction, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Oil and Gas, and even the people teaching English to the Thai employees of said companies have any correlation to the sale of alcohol?

:dunno:

TH

Hi TH,

>>>>>Please tell me how the income of people working Construction, Manufacturing, Financial Services, Oil and Gas, and even the people teaching English to the Thai employees of said companies have any correlation to the sale of alcohol?<<<<

Well...they certainly all have a correlation with the sanuk industry. Construction?..the building of hotels to house them. Manufacturing...the industries that make the products they buy. Financial?.....fund transfer fee's. Oil and gas?......the sales derived from them being there.

Sex tourist dollars go to almost every segment of the Thai economy. To think not is silly. Many, many millions of dollars are spent there every month, by thousands of them.

Wake up!

HT

Thai Airways alone would see a dramatic cut in fares. No sanukers traveling to an outlying Thai destination with their new-found tirak? An unreal decrease in their revenue. Flights to Phuket and Kho Samui would be cut in half.

HT

HIGH THAIED said:Sex tourist dollars go to almost every segment of the Thai economy. To think not is silly. Many, many millions of dollars are spent there every month, by thousands of them.

Wake up!

There is also the opportunity cost of the many millions of dollars that don't come to Thailand because of the sprawl of the bars in places such as Pattaya. That, coupled with the fact that most Thais (with the possible exception of Chuwit) don't appreciate their country being viewed by some as a golf and sex destination, means that today's government officials don't exactly have the desires of the average sex tourist high up on their priorities list.

Cheers!

Archived