Thailand bans U.S. beef imports

LP,

Yes, this beef is expensive but in my opinion worth each Yen you spend on it. Price varies between JPY 1,500 and 2,500 per 100 gr., i.e. approx. btw. 14 and 23 US$/100 gr.

There are several less expensive Japanese brands of beef that are almost as delicious but cost only approx. 8-10 US$ per 100 gr.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cows are massaged and given special food and sometimes beer to drink. By massaging the animal the fat is evenly distributed in tiny parts all over the beef. Because of this special treatment the beef becomes extremely tender. Even a toothless person could easily chew it.

I have eaten Kobe beef a few times and can attest to its tenderness due to the high level of fat. The premium price paid for such meat goes up to 10,000 yen per 100 grams. Nevertheless, marbeled meat aint healthy! Oishi demo kenkoo je nai (Tasty but not healthy).

Gimme a sirloin steak from the good ol' U.S.A. anytime...

America no niku wa ichiban desu!A

US beef is the best beef in the world thanks to our superior technology, which is the envy of the world. The infected bovine of recent notoriety was Canadian.

How can YOU be sure it was Canadian? As far as I can see, the people who should know don't even know.. Personally I think it's a load of bollocks.

I visited Australia recently and was shocked to see how expensive the domestic meat was, and can honestly say I am glad I don't live in that overly expensive country (nice beaches though). I love my steak, however, even on my salary ($US 55k), I can't afford Australian beef, because it is way too expensive, eh?

Yep, our beef has gotten expensive in the past few years. It had to happen unfortunately.. I'm an Aussie butcher, on about $55K AUD a year (30 or 40K US?) and can easily afford Aussie beef down here... I'd get off the drugs if I were you. To call Austrtalia over expensive... in my experience, it's about the cheapest western country you can call home. And I've been around.

"Kobe beef" - no it aint healthy, but they aren't paying for a salad you know. It aint cheap either, as you note, so by the time you've saved up for a second helping, hopefully the heart has recovered from the first.

Guest lazyphil

<<nothing better than Aussie beef>>

Maybe so but Scottish Salmon (and Whiskey) is better than Australian and American Salmon--I'm 1/4 Scottish and feeling in a flag waving kind of mood ;):grinyes:

Couldn't agree with you more Phil. (Note I said not better - I wouldn't call it worse either). Can't touch whiskey though, and call me tasteless if you will - many have - but I kinda like the Thai stuff. As Grandad says, the better it is, the less I appreciate it.. Whiskey, that is.

Marksanuk said:

I have eaten Kobe beef a few times and can attest to its tenderness due to the high level of fat. The premium price paid for such meat goes up to 10,000 yen per 100 grams. Nevertheless, marbeled meat aint healthy! Oishi demo kenkoo je nai (Tasty but not healthy).

Gimme a sirloin steak from the good ol' U.S.A. anytime...

America no niku wa ichiban desu!A

Mark,

Fortunately we all have different tastes. As for American beef to be no. 1, I just say: Beikoku no niku wa amari oishiku-nai desu. :down: Japanese beef is unbeatable. :up:

Archived