Vegetable Odor from Hades

StoneSoup

Well, for all the bad press that durian gets for its odor, I've finally tracked down the name of the disgusting vegetable that my gf occasionally cooks at home - cha-ohm.

The ghastly odor of this unremarkable looking green vegetable- while being cooked - makes durian smell like a delicate rosebud. And the odor persists for hours.

I hope that this monstrosity is seasonal, and disappears from the food shops soon.

Uggghhhh - she's boliing up a batch of cha-ohm now. Arrrggghhhh......

Anybody else familar with this delightful herb???

StoneSoup

Yeah, its disgusting, maybe the same way blue cheese is disgusting to some Thais. My wife certainly seems to love it.

I find myself making an excuse to go sit out on the balcony when she's cooking it. I can still remember the first time I smelled it. We were living with the in-laws in the village. I got up and walked around the house trying to identify the source of the smell, wondering why nobody else seemed to think something was terribly wrong.

That is one plant that could become extinct without me missing it.

• 1 month later...

It's acacia (or the shoots of it anyway). The aborigines call it the fish poison tree. They put it in the water and it stuns the fish, who then float to the surface. The seed pods are the most poisonous part of it. There are many different variants, so the Thai variety may not be so bad (I don't know). It might depend on when it is harvested too. Even though some things can be moderately poisonous small amounts can sometimes be good for you.

These plants may cause moderate symptoms, such as hallucinations, gastrointestinal bleeding, severe dermatitis and central nervous system stimulation. Ask them if this is why they like it.

http://www.koerneragro.com/convent/veget.htm

All I can say is that relocating to another country doesn't help either. My GF eats it on a regular basis and I am disgusted by its pungent smell. I can eat this vegetable, but i sure as hell can't stand the smell of it. It's f**king expensive as well.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived