THAI ELITE CARD: Price double for expats in 2004

I believe you can get a one year retirement visa outside Thailand by complying to a series of rules (+800k in bank certified or proof of monthly income +65K/month, medical certificate in Thai/english, no criminal record,a data sheet..??, everything or translated to thai by an accredited translator or in english but then notarised.

And yes, if you want to renew you need to bring 800k to a thai bank account, or transfer the 800k first and ask for an extention of your 90 days non-imm O visa.

I live in a non-english speaking country and don't have the time to go through this whole process. The multiple entries non-imm O with a few visa runs suits my needs.

Sorry to get off-topic here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>It seems people with $25K to spare aren't as stupid as they thought and are doing a cost benefits analysis before signing up and their counter measures to increase price can only end up turning away more people. Looks pretty shaky right now unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

There was an interesting comment the other day in BKK Post (among letters to the editor).

Somebody said that buying golf courses from the Elite Card membership money looks like another pyramidal scheme.

Also, the land a member might buy belongs to the card company that can go bust like any other enterprise. The way it looks it may happen sooner rather than later if the money is not pouring in. What happens to the land then?

Finally, a country who is seeking international respect does not say one can get treated better after coughing up certain amount of money.

Right - the Thai government is going to be afraid of being sued by 200 non-Thais who are dispersed in numerous jurisdictions around the world....

Regards, JEff

Peter1964 said:

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=58&tt_news=660

The Thailand Elite card ... targets one million members in five years. However, since its November 19 launch, only some 200 cards have been sold...

?I?m confident that no government would dare to close us. If anyone tries that, he?ll get sued by cardholders all over the world.?

Source: The Nation

>2 million baht elite card? A joke.

200 cards sold or given away?

(Edited my post to say that Peter1964 has already posted the entire article. I did not see it. My post can be ignored.)

In yesterday's BKK Post I read (and could hardly believe) that "many" expats have complained about the affordability of the card and have demanded that the price goes up so the holders won't have to wait in a queue when redeeming the services.

The Card Company estimates it cost them 40K baht to deliver (advertised) services per year per cardholder.

think_too_mut said:

>2 million baht elite card? A joke.

200 cards sold or given away?

(Edited my post to say that Peter1964 has already posted the entire article. I did not see it. My post can be ignored.)

In yesterday's BKK Post I read (and could hardly believe) that "many" expats have complained about the affordability of the card and have demanded that the price goes up so the holders won't have to wait in a queue when redeeming the services.

The Card Company estimates it cost them 40K baht to deliver (advertised) services per year per cardholder.

I was amused by this comment from the "Card Company" too.

Assuming you believe that, it means that the Card Company have to make that return (4% per year) on their investment of the Baht 1 million, PLUS - as mentioned elsewhere - the cost of their own day-to-day administration, PLUS the cost of the "Roadshows" they intend to conduct in an attempt to attract more "Cardholders" (read "Junkets" for executives and their wives and other hangers-on).

The scheme has all the hallmarks of another Ponzi / Mae Chamoy type scam; once new "investors" dry up the whole thing will collapse; then watch the "Assets" being sold off at rock bottom prices to insiders - including of course all Property "purchased" by Cardholders but in actuality only leased by them, the title to the Land etc. is held in the name of the Card Company, and therefore part of the Companys' assets.

Just got out of the Thai Immigration a couple of days ago. In June/July, the amount of money the farang must have in the bank for a Marriage Visa will double from 200k baht to 400k baht. Ridiculous. As has been said many, many times--they just want our money.

I can't blame the government for wanting to keep out "riff raff", but that's ridiculous.

basilofbarnes said:

surely 400K is not a large amount of money? i am normally on the side of falangs complaining about what appear to be racist and greedy visa regulation changes. but in the case of needing 400K in a Thai bank account, so what? its not a huge amount of money, is it?

Besides that, they are not taking the money, only making sure you have it (for use by yourself).

If you are planning on staying in Thailand for year, surely 10K US$ is not asking too much?

TH

Archived