Thai girl in USA

Guest lazyphil

<<My advice is to buy her a bicycle or scooter>>

Good idea--I got my mrs a nice bicycle which in clement weather she will get around on to work and local shops (also with child seat on the back)--I think it would be great in Hawaii to explore the island with :up:

<<I am not to fond of the idea of plopping her in the middle of a bunch of Thais that you don't know. I would introduce her to trusted friends as I would anyone I care about>>

Again good advice--ime my mrs gradually made friends with Thais via work and a Thai woman I've known locally for some years--to just expect anyone to click just because they share the same nationality is unrealistic. She is close to about four very nice Thai women (one being an ex pro--best to be open minded but not desperate) and knows quite a few others who are pretty sound. It takes time and one should tread carefully.

<<can get her into a local community school>>

Good idea again--my mum enrolled my mrs into a local English language school and she enjoyed it and attended quite a few classes but its pretty impractical as far as work goes but as HT lass goes I think a great idea to study more. As far as volunteer work goes I'm not sure what people have in mind?? :dunno:--The only thing here I can think of is working at the local winter soup kitchen for local dossers but my mrs has her familys (LOS family and here--me!) best interests at heart but if HT's girls family are not poor volunteer work could prove rewarding :up:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiances of American citizens ARE allowed to apply for EAD..work authorization. within the 90 day validity of the K-1 visa. You do not have to wait until filing the I-485 adjustment of status to apply for the EAD. I looked on the USCIS website and the processing time for work authorization in Hono is about 5 weeks. Processing time for the AoS is about 16 months from filing the application to the final interview.

As far as I'm concerned drivers in Hawaii are same-same as Thailand-- rider beware! :sleeping::banghead:

Make sure she can stay out of their way before you sending her off into the thick of it.

>>>>Just a comment on your plan to use the 90-day stay associated with a K-1 visa to decide if you two really want to marry - that's not the purpose of the visa. The decision to marry is supposed to be made before filing the I-129f petition and is the basis for the petition.<<<<<

Yea....well, please tell my government about that. They will not allow her to come here for any other reason, save for a $$$ commitment to a university here. I'd love to bring her here on a 6 month tourist visa, but that cannot happen. In their infinite wisdom, they make this our only option. :cussing:

other:

I do have two very nice bikes, but unfortunatly live on top of a very large hill. :D Which makes it unpractical for her to use from my house. Good news is there is bus service hourly, and the mall is just 10 minutes away. Come to think of it, every bus now has installed bike racks in the front, making it a reasonable option for her to get back up the hill/mountain. ::

To BB and others who might be concerned that our time together might not be enough? You are right...but because of politics, that fate is sealed to a large degree. Wish I lived in Belgium where I could wisk her to me whenever I liked, but that is simply not the case here. US policy has forced me to go down this single road with little, to no, options. How's that, for fucked up? But still, I am convinced by the time it comes to sign the dotted line, I will know by then if we will work, or not.

HT

"I'd love to bring her here on a 6 month tourist visa, but that cannot happen. "

Has your GF applied and been denied a tourist visa? :dunno:

Despite the stories you hear of denials, many Thais are granted tourist visas every day.

They just have to show compelling evidence they will return to Thailand when the vacation is over.

TH

Hi,

>>>>Has your GF applied and been denied a tourist visa? <<<

No. We will both go to the US embassy when I get there, and see what the options are. It won't hurt to apply for a tourist visa, but other than family, and a new job she will start soon, there is really no compelling reason for her to return. At least in their eye's. I'm hoping that maybe they may be more lenient knowing she will be on a small island, where it is hard to hide, if she were to overstay. :dunno:

HT

HIGH THAIED said:

Really.....my biggest concern is her missing family and friends. She has many of both, all very dear to her. But she insists is not a problem for her. I guess only time can detirmine outcome, and what she will really feel, when she comes.

HT

You know HT you have quoted her a couple of times as saying things like, "She insists it's not important. She says the only thing she cares about it being with me."

Surely you know enough to discount that kind of talk. It is boiler plate Thai lady speak akin to "Handsome man!" Firstly, she is not mature enough to decide that she doesn't care about being uprooted. Secondly, 95% of the time the thing young Thai ladies really care about is getting themselves and their family hooked into the support the farang can provide.

Sorry about this reality check, but these statements were kind of glaring out at me and I know that you're a longtime veteran of this board and have surely raised these questions to yourself.

GG

HST,

True, but keep in mind that the EAD received while in K1 status expires when the status expires. (But at least there is no application fee.) A new application for EA needs to be filed with the application for AOS.

Regards, JEff

HSTEACH said:

Fiances of American citizens ARE allowed to apply for EAD..work authorization. within the 90 day validity of the K-1 visa. You do not have to wait until filing the I-485 adjustment of status to apply for the EAD. ....

[color:"red"] to just expect anyone to click just because they share the same nationality is unrealistic. [/color]

Couldn't have said it better Phil.

For many Thais, being the same nationality actually creates quite a bit of envy. I have seen a few women tried breaking other relationship and gave out bad advice period.

Yes, many are sincerely good persons, no matter what they were at one time but it is not easy to find (I am too particular, perhaps :neener:). I don't hang around Thais but who I associate with are quite honest people.

Jasmine

Archived