Thai girl in USA

I know there have been posts about Thai girls coming to USA, and how they might react. But I'm a little worried about my situation.

Possible plan is for my g/f to come here to Hawaii, on a fiance visa in the future. I will be there (Los) in less than two weeks, and we will discuss at length. Here is the problem....for her to come here and live, I will need to get a second job (I also support my daughter here). I have a store which is open 3 days a week, which she can help with, and we can be together. The rest of the time she will be alone in my house, while I am working my second job. It will be quite a while before she can work (takes a while to get a green card here). I'm very worried she will go stir-crazy sitting alone in a strange country for 4 days a week. She speaks good English, but does not drive. My house is a little remote, but does have good bus access.

She insists she does not care, because only wants to be with me. I understand that, but am worried she may not understand the implications of that. I will discuss this with her at length soon. If she still insists will not be a problem, then will try for a 90 day fiance visa. We will have 90 days here to see if she can really endure. If we do, in fact marry at the end of 90 days, then will still be a number of months before she is able to work here, and get out of the house.

Anyway, are there any suggestions beyond getting her involved in the local Thai temple that I can do to insure (or at least try) to ease the lonelynes that she is sure to experience? When I see her soon, I will paint a bleak and realistic picture for her, as that is all I can do.

It's only the initial stage I am worried about. After she can work, and I can teach her how to drive, it will be fine. Plan is to live here for maybe 5 years, then retire to LOS, developing an import/export business from Thailand, to compliment my business here.

Any thoughts on how she might best deal with my absences during her initial stay here, would be greatly appreciated. She is 24, uni-grad, very good English, and a facination with all things farang. But she is still a country girl. Lives and works in BKK, but has traveled very little, all in-country Thailand, and her biggest adventure was when I took her to Kho Samui.

We have Thai restaurants here, and I know a few Thai people, who I will try to get to help intergrate her into a new culture. Actually, knowing her, I'm not really worried about that. My main concern is the 30 hours a week, I cannot be there for her, for the next 6 months after she arrives.

Thanks for any insights, and advice, you can give. ;)

HT

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone is different, so it is hard to say. I do have experience in this having been married for a long time. If you like, contact me when you get into town and we can chat about it over a beer, preferably with your girl. Too much interaction needed to do this on the board.

Cheers,

SD

I had the same situation..........exactly. The work permit does not take long. It has been about 6 year since my wife came to Hawaii but with the Immigration office on the island, it is very helpful. There is Thai temple in Pearl City, I believe. We have moved away a few years ago but that is where I remember it. I think there is another one in Waianae but not 100 percent. There is a decent Thai community there. Just ask the monks at the temple. They are there to help. Don't worry so much.....she will be fine.

Troy

Regarding her work status: As I remember, upon entering with a K-1 visa and marrying within 90 days a social security card authorizing work is obtainable immediately thereafter. Of greater concern would seem to be worries that someone with an interest in different cultures would be unhappy hanging out in the climate of Hawaii, with a built-in Asian culture for comfort. If it were Council Bluffs or Stoke I could better understand. But if they can't hack it there (or here in S.F. for that matter) they're not going to make it anywhere. Wherever, I understand it can be daunting at first, so you may want to consider, assuming a marriage occurs, of shipping her back to the womb of Thailand to prepare for round two as at that point she will be stamped for in and out privileges.

Wrong again, I'd forgotten, let me correct. After marriage you need to make another application to adjust status (to 'conditional' or 'temporary' which is valid for a couple of years and the final step before permanent residency), which I believe can take up to six months. During the time this conditional status is pending leaving the country is not allowed without, yes, filing yet another application and paying another fee, (this one called "parole", which is a glorified bar fine) but is really a formality AFAIK it is issued without question.

Probably is a good idea to get her acquainted with other Thais in Hawaii, and when its permitted, have her work with Thais on the job at a restaurant or other company if possible.

This will most likely help her transition more easily into western lifestyle if she is not at first comfortable with it.

Archived