A telephone call from Bangkok

Nasiadai

The guys with the rotating days off can trade days with each other, not sure about "one way trades" where I just work for you and get paid your straight time... I work in the engine shop, where everyone has the same days off, so no one to switch with. Might try Line again just for the flexability...I loved day trades before!

OH,

Well, are there more than one shift in your engine shop? If so another way to trade off is to have others on another shift work a double. Your shift, and then their own. If you can get four or five other guys to pull a double shift you can thereby get an extra week (with maybe a leave day or DAT-"day at a time" vacation day to bridge over to your weekend days off if needed) plus, added to your weekends of say S/Su on each end, this gives you a nine day off holiday, which doesn't even eat into your allotted vacation accrual time. I used this a lot, and could always grab enough guys to work for me (either for the extra pay, or because I had enough seniority to have fixed days off of Sat/Sun which I would give them and work for them in return when I returned from Thailand.) so I could grab at least three or four "extra" 9 or 10 day "holidays" to the LOS each year, sometimes more. On top of my 6 weeks vacation time each year, and a couple more "unpaid" lay-off weeks. Whenever I wanted extra cash I'd just work my weekend days off for others, and get the straight time money, or grab some 4 over or 4 early or 8 hour day off time and a half overtime. You should consider transfering over to something more flexible for trade days and schedules for yourself. I was able to get maybe three months or more a year in the LOS this way, and without losing any money by doing so. It just is a bit hard on you when you return from the LOS working your days off for others, and working any OT you can pick up along the way, but hell, I just wanted to get back to the LOS, so I didn't give a shit about the working extra. You're just mooning about on your free time anyway wishing the fuck you were back in Thailand, so might as well work. :-) Knowing if you work all month one month that the next month you'd have 10 days in country was a prime motivator! :-) Then I'd bid at least four consecutive weeks vacation time in the summer, say the month of June or July as my vacation, (saving two weeks for the winter) and add a week of trade days before and after the month vacation time to make about 6 or 7 weeks holiday in the LOS each summer, then I'd do the 6 weeks in the states and 10 days in the LOS cycle routine the rest of the year using my last 10 days vacation time as "day at a time" vacation days along with the trade days and weekend days off to join up a nice holiday every 6 to 8 weeks. Worked for me. Check it out. It was nice being in Thailand a couple weeks every 6 weeks to two months. Made it a lot easier to handle those BKK Blues. :-) Working for an airline can give you much more flexability, and hell, the ticket costs are minimal, even for 1st class RT. Take advantage my friend. Enjoy life now. Ya never know what'll happen tomorrow, and if you plan to pursue a Thai lass the more time over there the better for your head, and your relationship. Just some thoughts, as I worked for a major airline for 22 years, as you know.

Cent

You no longer work for NW? Yes, I am aware of all the day trade options...however, I am in Aircraft maintainance, so I have to follow the F.A.R.S thus MUST have 4 days off per month whether I want them or not...not work more than 16 hours in one day (can't be done as we lost our payed lunch, so a double shift is 17 hours)...and a few other bullshit rules designed to keep me from LOS. If I worked Line, I'd have better flexability...would love a position in BKK or closer as a "liasion."

Hi OH,

Nothing beats being there...the cruel part for me is, I work for an airline so I can go anytime for free or near free if I want. The pain is, I only get 22 days leave a year...so near, yet so far.

I am in a somewhat similar situation working for an airline as well. However, these days I only work parttime, some 10 days a month. Now that would give me plenty of time to go LOS every 3rd week or so but obviously I am a bit financially challenged to say the least.

So either one has got the spare time or the cash it seems :banghead:

Cheers

Hua Nguu

>> Far away from being a professional translator I cut this story short and I changed some sentences and made them simpler, so that I was able to translate them. The result of this revision is that this story lost some of its subtleties of language and therefore lost in literary quality. But nonetheless I hope you enjoy the story. <<

And I thought, Mao the Mark is unveiled. ;)

"In the distance in Bangkok there is my dreamlike female being with her charm, her smile, her cheerfulness and great beauty; and in front of me there is this ugly and masculine grey wench in her trouser-suit, with brunette grease strands of hair, smelling of a repulsive tang of perfume and

cigarette stench".

I have sat (like a lot of us) In Big Dogs or the Nana Hotels Golden bar watching the Thai girls glide past and then along comes a fat falang woman, sweat pouring off her, her t shirt stuck to her rolls of fat and the pavement trembling with every foot step! Then I see the next Thai girl walk gracefully bye and the world is right again! :angel:

Old Hippie said:

I remember a tour guide telling a "fatrang" bitch "you are picking the wrong place to fight with your husband, any of those girls there (pointing to a group of other tour guides) will take him away..."

That speaks volumes. I instantly emotionally grabbed onto your word-picture, and will keep that picture in my find for a long long time.

:: I loved to read your story...... but i hope for you that you are her only farang friend.......

we all have to learn our leasons.... :drunk:

have fun in your next stay in los and take care

auf wiedersehen vielleicht von ein nachbarn aus amsterdam, holland !!!

Archived