Bird Flu in Thailand?

From Chinaview (I like the denial that there is no bird flu, in the first sentence):

Thailand reiterates no bird flu

www.chinaview.cn 2004-01-16 21:34:42

BANGKOK, Jan. 16 (Xinhuanet) -- The Thai government on Friday denied again that there's no bird flu case in the kingdom and criticized irresponsible report.

A consumer right group on Thursday handed over a letter to the parliament, accusing government of covering Thailand's situation of bird flu.

The chicken farmers said millions of their chicken had died of bird flu rather than cholera claimed by the government earlier.

While Thailand's newspapers front-paged the shocking news, Thailand's Deputy Agriculture Minister Newin Chidchob denied the accusation and said it's totally rumor.

"Irresponsible media and some people are trying to spread the rumor," he told reporters at a press conference held on Friday.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Wednesday declared that Thailand was free of bird flu.

Officials from agriculture ministry also said that chickens died on some farms were affected by cholera because of the weatherchange rather than the bird flu.

Even so, Singapore on Thursday declared to suspend the imports of all live and frozen whole poultry from Thailand on concern of the outbreak of chicken cholera.

Responding to the controversial debate over Thailand's poultry sector, Thaksin was reported by local press as saying that the government would invite foreign experts to test dead chicken to dispel the rumor.

Being world's fourth largest chicken exporter, Thailand exported 500,000 tons of chicken worth 52 billion baht (1.3 billion US dollars) in 2003, and has a target of about 600,000 tons for this year. Enditem

Also see Reuters:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/BKK245211.htm

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting story - feel sorry for the UK contingent as TESCO import by far the largest quantity of Thai chickens into the UK - seemingly 40% of all Tesco chicken emanates from Thai farms, which was mentioned in the BKK post as a "justification" that Tesco Lotus is not all bad on the smaller shopkeepers of Thailand (i.e exports a lot of stuff as well).

I also remember a doctor at Bumrungrad mentioned to me that she was convinced that BSE was in Thai cattle as well. Having said all that, I kept eating British beef and eggs and everything else deemed unsafe in the UK food supply chain.

Cheers

"denied again that there's no bird flu case in the kingdom and criticized irresponsible report.

"

When the goverment does this you KNOW 100%v there IS bird flu. I am sure the goverment will say that 100,000 birds all fell down the stair and died that way. No bird flu here. SO what if there is. Cook you meat and it should be fine! The farmers on the other hand will have problems

My in law is a general manager of a feed mill and an advid bird breeder, I will ask him this weekend what he thinks about the situation. He should have first hand knowledge.

About 2 weeks ago, one of my friends spent 2 days in the hospital. Doctors claim it was the virus the chickens have. Some people in Vietnam have died from the virus. Thailand claims why the chickens are dying is not from the flu but in some cases from cholera. Do not know who to believe.

As far as my business is concerning with those frozen chicken exporters, who are main suppliers for Mcdonald all over the world, I've checked with my customers once I heard about the news, all of my customers said that there is no effect to their exporting order from this happening (that's enough to make me happy) and they even said that without chicken all Muslim will go starving!!! :p

Was in China Town last Saturday. Sunday night news showed on TV that some in China Town were taking the dead chickens and selling them. They warned not to be careful about eating chicken from China Town.

Archived