Bird Flu in Thailand?

"...what about duck..."

It is avian--not chicken--flu and ducks, because of their migratory patterns from China, are apparently considered a greater risk. As are eggs (rawer) more so than meat.

A global story now. No longer have to search news engines for details as the mainstream TV international news are teasing with it in promos and reporting on it in their first segment. Thailand, being the only country mentioned, is squarely at the center. Always focus on the growing (human)death count (12 in the region thus far) but what about the birds? Seeing prisoners stuffing the millions into twitching rice sacks to be buried alive is unsettling. Same procedure used by Hong Kong a few years back--and sure, they're doomed to a terrible demise anyway-- but is this the most humane approach? To minimize risk of infection I suppose it must be bloodless?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loner w/a boner said:

This is scary. I'm no environmentalist-type, BUT...it sounds like some of the dire predictions made in decades past might actually be happening. I've always been more worried about eating fish--high mercury, sores from pollution, etc...now various pathogens may be successfully spreading through our food supply.

Seem to recall they made a few sci-fi "B" movies about this kind of thing.

Antibiotics,growth hormones,pesticides and who knows what else being put into the food chain, just keeps decreasing the effectiveness of treatments put forth by the medical industry.

As usual, money first, people second. Sooner or later, maybe this practice will stop if an AIDS type virus mutates and spreads as easily just from someones cough. :o

Maybe the food industry will be forced into changing their methods of maximum yield of plants or animals with an anything goes mentality.

Has anyone heard mention of "Pig SARS" in this country? I've heard it mentioned but was unable to ascertain whether there is anything to it other than paranoia.

There is some talk of "Fish SARS" as many commercially available fish in the country are fed chicken droppings.

I am interested in knowing if there is any substance to either of these so far unsubstantiated rumors.

I can see tofu prices on the rise...

RickF

It's not pig sars, but pigs can carry the disease. Found that in Hong Kong in there bird flu epidemic.

Nice article in today's paper about some big Thai guy saying that was malarky. The best part was the last part of the article that cited it was found in Hong Kong and that a decent American University backed that possibility up.

<<burp>>

Sorry, as this bird flu business is such a serious matter of vital concern to all folk living in, or planning on visiting, the Kingdom I believe that it should be discussed in the upfront GENERAL forum.

Also there should be no question mark after the title of the thread!

Hi,

Not to downplay the current Thai health problem, but in realality it has only accounted for a couple of deaths, as opposed to 10's of thousands from HIV. HIV and SARS is dicussed in health, as this should be also. It's a health issue, and as such, should be discussed in the appropiate forum.

This is a Thai sanuk board, and as such, must remain on-topic. It's not a all-encompassing all-things-Thai board. Everyone in the world is aware of the "bird flu" epidemic in SEA, and in particular, Thailand. This is not the most appropiate place to find up-to-the-minute information for this.

HT

Archived