Axe pillows

rovineye

Picked up two of the large axe pillows in Chiang Mai in Dec. Ended up lugging them all over Thailnd for a month (Pattaya, BKK, Phuket, Krabi). But I really find them comfortable. They are cheap in CM, about 350 baht or less. I have been to LOS way too many times and finally decided to lug a few home.

AT LAX, was sent to Agriculture secondary inspection. They xrayed the pillows. A nice inspector said he wanted to show me why I couldn't keep the pillows. He took out a knife and slit one. Deep inside is rice straw. A no-no for import (can carry disease).

He threw it on a pile of axe pillows and we spent some time chatting about Thailand, as I had time before next flight and he was bored. He told me that some people had paid a thousand baht or more for small pillows. We talked about bars in Phuket, his favorite spot.

Anyway, there are no axe pillows that can be brought into USA. I asked about ones that I see in some Thai stores, and he said they are not made in Thailand even if the sticker says so. Made here. I suspect some may be snuck in of course.

lazyphil said:

Too bad US airport security didn't/couldn't spot the Sudanese fellow with a pocket full of bullets from Washington to London!!!

What does this have to do with someone getting pillows confiscated by US Customs after getting off an airplane from Thailand.

TH

Archived