Tours of China

danno6

I will be in Asia in February, starting off in Bangkok :). I would like to go to Beijing and Xi'an for sightseeing. Does anyone know of a reptuable travel agent in Bangkok where I could make arrangements for a tour to these cities? Do you think it is possible to leave for such a tour 4-5 days after making the arrangements?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Danno6,

I'm afraid that I cant help you re BKK travel agencies, but I can offer this piece of advice as one who has been to China - try to learn some Mandarin, preferably with a native speaker. If you have spent any time in Asia, you will know what I'm on about, but I think its particularly important in China. If you've been to China numerous times before, please accept my apologies for this post - I am aware that many newbies to the board are often seasoned travellers.

Happy Trails,

Artie

dnno,

I would just buy a ticket, a book about China and leave. There are about 6 billion tourist agencies everywhere in China supplying english speaking guides , look into the Yellow Pages. I would not book anything from Bangkok because a Chinese tour group over a couple of days can be a pain in the ass. Try to find out what you think is interesting and arrange to your desire. You will otherwise end up inspecting 80 temples in a row. Probably too short notice to learn Mandarin in 3 weeks but the most important phrase in phonetic spelling sounds like " Wo aiii neeee " , and would be " I love you " in English. Just a thought.

BuBi

I agree a tour is not needed. As far as getting around, at least in Beijing, the hotel will write in Chinese anywhere you want to go on little cards they have for just that purpose. We had no problem getting around in Beijing and seeing the sights, which seemed to be mostly some serious shopping. That maybe because I was with my wife. If she has a choice between the Forbidden City or the Pearl Market, you can guess which one we spent the most time at.

TH

I wouldn't go with a tour unless you really are interested in carpets/ceramics/silkworm larvae/how to make rice noodles etc. (delete any of the above or insert your own tour guide idea of fun).

If you go to Beijing you'll end up at Sanlitun and Sanlitun Nan. Some funky places down there. I just loved the pvc dresses the promo girls wear advertising fags/booze. Also a mere hop skip and jump away by the stadium is Maggie's. Mosey on over and sample the Mongolian demimondaines.

Yeah, as Art said, try and get some Mandarin under your belt e.g. Ni shang bu shang chu gunworichi?/Ni shang chu gunworichi ma? means D'you wanna go with me?

I can think of some situations where you may just want to use that. ;)

You'll be fine without a tour guide in China. Your best bet is to talk to one of the doormen in your hotel and arrange for a private driver if you plan to do a bit of site seeing. I paid a guy $20.00 US and he drove me for the entire day. Great Wall, Silk Market, Ming's Tomb, etc.

If you go on a tour, you'll be stuck with all of the senior travelers who complain the bus ride is too loud, uncomfortable, etc.

When you go to Sanlitun, stay away from the hawks who try to get you to go to "lady bar". These are all scams where you'll be required to drive to another location, pick a girl, buy drinks and watch karokee on tv. No fun included. You will then be presented with a large bill for your troubles. I was able to remove myself from said situation without paying the bill or suffering too much physical abuse. You may not be so lucky.

If your looking for some fun, you will surely find it right outside your door of any of the major american hotel chains or at the hardrock cafe. You'll have a hard time getting someone in your room after 11:00pm but a tip to the doorman might help getting your chinese cousin in for the night :)

If your feeling adventerous, you can go back to her apartment. I did that several times and was able to see parts of Beijing that no sightseeing tour would ever offer.

Speaking of Sanlitun, I remember my first day I got out of the taxi there and was stopped by a German girl. "Do you speaking english?" she asked. When I replied yes, she said "goud, vould you like to join me for drink"?

:o This place is great!!

Several beers later we were on our way to Tiananmen Square to see it under the night lights. I convinced her we should stop at my hotel so I could pick up my camera. Although we eventually made it to Tiananmen that night, I got better pictures in the hotel :: :D

"You'll have a hard time getting someone in your room after 11:00pm but a tip to the doorman might help getting your chinese cousin in for the night "

Due to a recent epsiode with some Japanese "Tourists" in a certain Zhuhai hotel, all guests are now required to register at the desk before entering hotels in China. There are signs in the lobby of every hotel I have been in the last 6 months. I have not tried, but they seem to be serious about it.

TH

Archived