How Do You Beat Jet-Lag????

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upser,

PS: The CV office in BKK is at

295 / 29-31 Surawong Road

And at BKK CV in on the 3rd floor of cargo village

Thanks for digging CV address, saves me to research my old stuff. No "ploblem" finding them, they are in a back alley behind the "New Fuji" hotel, a dump.

Still will need to dig in my box, unless the name of the office manager hits my memeory though...

I use a number of methods to lessen the effect of jet lag when traveling from the US.

Getting some rest on the plane helps. Wear comfortable clothing and bring one of those airline pillows you see in travel shops - they really help me. Drink lots of water and juice on the plane (avoid alcohol). I usually bring a liter or two with me.

Move around a little when you are awake - deep vein thrombosis can be a killer on long haul flights. I have read that a low dose of aspirin also helps by thinning the blood. (1/2 a tab)

When I leave the US, I always set my watch for local time at my arrival destination and start thinking about how to get my body (and my mind) into that time zone.

When you arrive, consider a traditional massage. But most important, stay up as late as you can on the first day! Staying up until 9:00 p.m. local time is essential. Staying up until midnight or later is better. Usually not a problem in Bangkok. If you go to bed (sleep) in the middle of the afternoon, you are screwed (figuratively).

If I follow these tips, the first day is tough. The second day is OK, and I am usually fine thereafter.

Going back is a different story. It is always hard on me for several days, regardless of my efforts.

Yea, the trip back is a killer, no doubt. I wonder if it is more psychological than physical. I usually work second shift so my "bioclock" is screwed anyway. I'm good till about 7pm the night I get in then I lose it. I fall asleep for 2-3 hours and am up for the rest of the night. Any ideas how to beat this?

I agree with using a sleep aid like ambien (temezepam generaic I think) take it to sleep on the longest part of the trip.

I am not sure about side effectsthough, I took 2 when the oj and nuts were served, I opted for the chicken dinner, but when I think back I honestly don't remember ever eating the dinner.

also, ritilan reallyhelps to shock ur system back in line the first day on either end of the trip.

also, really try to get good seating, like business class or eva ecoonomy delux, the regular(cheep) sets were designed my marquis desade. sleeping cramped up will take its toll even b4 u get here.

also, ( for me anway) don't try "score" to much as sooon as you get there. take ur time, be discriminating, and make the most of it. we all have heard stories ( I admit to it too) of trying to "get with the programme) asap, and regretting it later.

Studies made on this subject have shown flying east is easier to recover from than flying west.

I agree with that, but the older I get, the worse it becomes on both directions. I now need one week to sleep decently at night. The first days I can have a nap anytime. Now, In LOS that's not a problem (although with nowadays closing time...), but what can you do in the middle of the night in the west, except browse Nanaplaza?

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

Interesting study that flying east is easier than flying west. I have always found the opposite is true for me. And, anecdotally, I know a number of crew members on transcontinental flights who share my experience.

I wonder if its a matter of being a day person or a night person. I prefer to stay up late over getting up early.

When flying east to west, I just stay awake a few more hours at my destination, even if I have crossed the International Date Line. When traveling east, I have to get up far earlier - I hate that.

And, of course, in LOS, the norm is to stay up late and definitely NOT get up early. Perfect.

Raven,

You have a point here. I am a morning guy, woke up around 5.30 am this morning, but normally around 7 pm though. I have two flights to catch to night, a) at 07.00 pm to LHR, then to BKK. I feel tired already and think I go for a nap now (10.00 am here)

But I trvelled to Montreal last month and confirm flying west was tougher. First night went out to have a good steak, went to bed around 4 am "biological" time. The next nights I woke up around same time, later 5 am, whilst falling asleep after 10 pm local (4 am biological).

Flying back home was a short night fligt of 6 hours and something, arrived early morning, spent a quite day, went to bed early (10 pm) and everything went smoothly the next few days.

Coming from Chicago as well, I always get into Bangkok at 11PM, which is good because I'm exhausted from 22 hours or so of traveling. The travel books tell you that when you get there at night, go to bed (yeah, right, in Bangkok?!) if you get there during the day, stay up until nighttime. I get there late, take a sleep aid, (not a BG) and I'm pretty well ready to go the next morning. Chicago Dave

Archived