TOT broadband for 500 Baht/month

khunsanuk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get your hopes up so soon for Februay installation. I talked to a friend of mine who owns an internet shop. He sad that the problem is that when you talk to anyone at TOT or CAT the other group that is sponsoring it, they can't tell you anything simply because they don't know anything. They don't know the timeline for installation,how much the modem is, the length of the contract, the penalties for early cancellation, additional cost, etc. Most employeeshe talked to never even knew that there was a plan to offer broadband at those rates. He figures that they will have it together and will really be able to offer it come June, if they ever do.

He said it is the idea of the same guy who rolled out the government's cheap computers scheme a year ago. We all know how successful that scheme was, people are still waiting for their computers.

This is full internaet access and not local only.

The one offered by TA has internatonal access only by use of proxy, which is a pain in the ass.

TA's DSL could be tested in Phantip last week. It is much slower than a dial-up 56k modem at home.

Lots of internet cafes use these new cheap "Thai DSL" lines.

Generally speaking, there tends to be an improvement over what they had before (one dial-up modem for 12 computers playing games).

But some places who had real DSL before seem to have switched to Thai DSL now and it sucks. They are now very slow.

I have a friend that has the local 512kbp TA DSL in his shop for 10 PCs and it is pretty damn fast , the fastest I have experienced in BKK so far. The only problem is when you web surf on non-local you run into proxy errors and have occasional problems downloading from internatonal sites. He doesn't really care because all of his customers are schoolkids that just want to game.

I guess t all depends are where you are located.

TA expects their primary international link through CAT to be down a lot for maintenance in February. Probably the guy accessed it in one of those periods. It's been pretty choppy for the last week or so I've noticed on their dialup plan. I would be pretty upset if I was paying TA 10,000 baht a month (what their ADSL would run for my type usage) and have to deal with such huge planned outages. I don't see any sign this is the year for broadband in LOS at all... way too expensive, limited speeds, unreliable connection to the outside world.

Archived