Paying income taxes ??

MaakSiDa

After deducting the standard or itemized deductions, and the applicable allowances from gross income, the resulting net income is taxed at the rates shown in the following table:

Net Annual Income (baht) Tax Rate

0-50,000 > 0

50,001-100,000 > 5%

100,001-500,000 > 10%

500,001-1,000,000 > 20%

1,000,001-4,000,000 > 30%

>4,000,000 > 37%

The tax rate on the joint income of spouses is the same as that applicable to persons filing individual returns; the incomes of both spouses are treated as accruing solely to the husband. However, if both spouses have employment income, each spouse may elect to file a separate tax return. In that event, each employed spouse is entitled to a separate standard deduction and the personal exemption of each spouse will then be Baht 30,000 plus Baht 7,500 for each dependent child (or 8,500 if school allowance is applicable).

In the case where an individual has a gross income of more than Baht 60,000, excluding income under Section 40 (1) of the Revenue Code (employment income), the income tax payable must not be less than 0.5 per cent of that gross income.

Ooops, my fault. Here's the relevant then

Social security

The Social Security Act 1990 and its amendment, the Social Security Act (No. 2) 1994 require all employers with 10 or more employees to withhold social security contributions from the monthly wages of each employee. The prescribed rate applied to the monthly wages is 4.5 per cent.

However, the maximum monthly wage base on which the above rates are applied must not exceed 15,000 baht. The employer is required to match the contribution from the employee. The contributions of both the employer and employees must be remitted to the Social Security Office within the 15th day of the following month.

Employees with social security registration may file claims for compensation in case of injury or illness, disability or death which is not due to the performance of their work, and for cases of child delivery, child welfare, old age pension and unemployment. The social security contributions are envisaged to rise as the benefits to be provided to employees are increased.

As of 1 Jan 2004, the actual amount is:

3.0% (Old age-retirement)

1.5% (Insurance/Death)

0.5% (Unemployment)

So a total of 5%. Maximum of 15,000 baht as the base, so every month THB 750 comes out from the paycheck.

If I work 15 years I wonder how much of a retirement pension I can expect ?

Cheers!

Fly,

Has nothing to do with a "proper contract", only if you have a work permit and pay taxes.

You should have the following documents:

Work Permit

Tax ID Card

Social Insurance Card

Medical Service Card

These four items are very important and you should check that you make copies of them all for your records.

KS, the "Unemployment" portion only started to be collected this year (2004), so I don't know when actual benefits will be started.

Cheers!

Archived