Cabbages and Condom's disaster

Last Friday on my last night in Los,i took a very pretty girl to dinner,i let her choose,and she wanted to go to Cabbages and condom's on Soi 12,as she was dressed smartly and looked great i was more than happy to take her anywhere.

When we arrived i was impressed by the look of the place,on entering we was asked if we would prefer to eat upstairs or down,we chose upstairs and proceded upstairs,after waiting for a little while a waitress came and told us it was full,and that she had already told the staff downstairs.

We went downstairs and was offered a table,which was fine,we ordered then waited having a drink,with such charming company i thought this was heaven.

The Tom Yam Goong arrived and was served from a large bowl into two bowls ,the large bowl was then taken away ,which i was suprised at,as i like to have a lot of the soup,but it was gone before i could say anything.

After about five minutes the other dishes arrived,and the rice,which was a wet sticky mess,i looked at my girl and she straight away said "rice no good,too wet" so she called the waitress and explained that we was not happy with the rice,the waitress walked off,clearly not happy,after waiting some time ,we was then able to get the attention of another waitress,who having seen the rice went off and returned with a man,we showed him the rice and he agreed it was not acceptable and told the waitress to replace it,after about 5minutes she returned with fresh rice,i joked with my girl, that as it was taking so long ,she must have gone to the stall up the road to buy the rice,well this rice was exactly the same as the first helping.

I could see that my girl was close to tears ,so i called the waitress and showed her that this rice was no better,so could she please put the dishes in something to take away,except for the rice and Tom Yam ,that was still untouched,and bring me the bill.

The waitress went off without saying a word ,but clearly not happy,and looked resentfully at my girl,she returned with the bill and virtually threw it on the table,glaring at my lady,this was the last straw for me,i asked to see the manager,the waitress stormed off,and after at least 5 minutes a girl in traditional costume came to the table,i explained to her what had happened,and that i was not happy to pay for the rice and Tom yam which was stone cold long ago,but was happy to pay for everything else,i also explained that what was supposed to be a very enjoyable evening had been totally ruined,she very begrudgingly reduced the bill,made excuses and returned with my change.

The bill was for 700bht and it was reduced to 520 which was not exactly a great reduction ,but at least i was leaving feeling i had been more than fair.

I was not offered an apology by anyone,in fact we was treated with a great deal of resentment,and i sincerely believe had i been with a farang lady, the attitude of the staff would have been different,a feeling shared by my girl.

Both myself and my girl were well dressed ,no jeans or anything casual,so there was no reason for the staff to look down on us,and neither of us are youngsters.

For the first time in my life i did not leave a tip.

My girl was extremely upset,she said as we left, she had wanted to take me somewhere romantic on my last night, and was so sorry it was no good,i told to forget it ,and took her to another restaurant,after we ordered i told her ok ,our evening starts now,the food was good and we had a great night.

I find it quite amazing Cabbages and Condom's could not cook something as simple as steamed rice,for all the things that maybe a restaurant can't cook,i feel this is one thing you dont expect to get messed up in Thailand.

i am sorry to hear that your last evening was spoiled. i do not think that it has anything to do, whether you were with a thai or farang lady. C & C is just a bit a overrated place with a very good location, is well known among tourists and does not have to fight for customers. that's why their service (and also their food) are not even average among thai eateries.

For the first time in my life i did not leave a tip.

Leaving a restaurant without a tip on the table is nothing new to me.

If there's something I disgust it's a crappy service and very unhelpful waiters/waitresses. :onfire:

You handled it well, Gunneruk. I couldn't have done it better myself.

Thanks for the replies confirming my opinion of Cabbages and condom's,i did a search here before i posted and many people spoke well of it,so i nearly did not post,but i felt so strongly about the bad service ,and the poor food that i felt i had to post it.

I do sincerely believe that the waitresses would not have glared at a farang lady, like they glared at my Thai lady,we both felt afterwards that they thought she should not be agreeing with a farang against Thai's,despite the fact we had every right to complain.

Possibly this is a subject better asked in another thread.

:applause:

these are exactly the valuble kind of updates all of us on the board need gunneruk. Thanks

Many operations live on past performance and reputations that are no longer valid. Be they good or bad. Only current reports such as this are of any value.

(Now if I could only get reports on my favourite girls ...... :devil: )

Many operations live on past performance and reputations that are no longer valid. Be they good or bad. Only current reports such as this are of any value.

So true LHL. This extends far beyond simply the restaurant industry. I can't remember how many times I chose to stay at a guest house or hotel based on a guide book recommendation that ended up being so out of date as to no longer remotely resemble the current establishment. (Thank you very little Mr. Cummings :down:) That is one of the reasons a board like this is so valuable, being updated on the fly.

And thanks to GunnerUK for giving us the heads up about C&C. :applause:

Hi gunneruk,

I went to C&C two years ago. The food was OK but the service was unbelievably slow. At every stage where we needed the next course, table clearing etc., I had to get up and go looking for a waiter and ask them to come over. This was bad for me because I was entertaining my new boss, newly arrived in Thailand.

Since that epidsode, I have never been back and have no intention of going again.

Khwai

the service was unbelievably slow

That pisses me off as well.

Went out with my girl the other day and there were two new restaurants in town. Couldn't decide so we went to the nearest one. Entered, sat there and only 3 tables were occupied (including us). I'm used to a quick approach by a waiter, but not this time. A few waiters walking past our EMPTY table but no help offered and I knew they had seen me entering the place. I checked my watch and 5!!! fucking minutes passed and nobody bothered to help us.

I deliberately kept my mouth shut to see the end of it. Well, my intention was to have a good night out with my girl and needed nobody to ruin my plans so I stood up and left without saying a single word as the waiters gave eachother confused looks. The hell with them lazy ignorant pissheads. :)

I had a good night out as I had planned to elsewhere.

Archived