Looking for a different side of BKK

MaiLuk

Been traveling around LOS with the TGF and we will be heading to bkk for 3 days. Looking for suggestions on a hotel somewhere away from the usual sukumvit areas that has things to do, decent places to eat etc. Obviously there are a million hotels, what i'm looking for is an area different than the scene that is not entirely beyond a farang's ability to find something to do.

Prefer a hotel under 2000bht but will go higher for a place worth while thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stay here; Centrepoint Silom

Close to the Shangri La. Very convenient for trips up and down the river to see the sights as well as being a minute away from the SkyTrain.

Prices start from US$60(<2400baht) for a 45 sq.m. room, US$69(2700 baht) for 66 sq.m.

THAIHOME said:

We stay at the Swiss Lodge on Soi Convent (Silom). It is away from Suk, lots of resturants, near skytrain, lots shopping, etc. Not exactly away from the scene (as Patpong is across Silom) but works for us. Pretty good rooms around 3K baht. :up:

TH

A second vote for Swiss Lodge. Convenient, yet not in-your-face.

You could try the Saphan Khway hotels ... all under 2000THB and almost only thai people on the streets ... Close to the BTS station and to Jatujak market, and convenient with the airport and Morchit Bus Station. No Mac Donald, no Pizza Hut (only a small KFC)

The best hotels would be Karmanee Place, Mido and Sena but there are lot of others ...

I stayed at the Bangkok City Inn, in a sub soi off Rajdamri, opposite WTC movie complex, towards Petburi from Big C, somewhat difficult to get to if taxi driver does not know the exact location, although you can see roof sign from Amari Warergate.

Walk in rate 1000 baht, internet prepayment around 800 acceptable buffet breakfast included.

Rooms are smallish, fully carpetted, airco, minibar, and ok.

Walking distance for Panthip, Pratunam market, skytrain Chit Lom, WTC

Hi Mailuk,

I know of a place for 580 baht per night. Is totally booked on weekends, and is one block from BTS, in a great area. Book ahead, and you can get in.

PM me, because I'm not willing to share this on the board. Food is half that on Suk, and area even has free internet access, as of last month.

HT

MaiLuk said:

Looking for suggestions on a hotel somewhere away from the usual sukumvit areas ......what i'm looking for is an area different than the scene that is not entirely beyond a farang's ability to find something to do.

800 Baht/night would get you an A/C room at River View Guest House, near to Harbour Dept Pier. ( 3 mins walk)

Large Rooms, en-suite, lift, roof-top restaurant/bar (amazing view), on a bend in the ChaoPraya. The area is definitely "different", as the hotel is in an area with loads of engine repair shops , local restaurants, and a few (not girlie) bars. It's popular with backpackers, but I reckon it's too good for them.::

The place is close to HuaLampong and Chinatown. It's mentioned in most of the guides that I have seen, which is one of the reasons that I visited, but I've stayed in it three times now, so I have to recommend it...details below.

768 Soi Panurangsri, Songvad Road, Sanjao Josuekong Talad Noi, Bangkok 10100

phone +66 2 2345429, +66 2 2358501, +66 2 2665291

:devil::beer::devil:

There?s a hotel in Chinatown on the main road Yaowarat(?) called China Town Hotel or similar (you can see it from the road). Had a great time there with my girlfriend, loads of things to see and eat outside in the markets. Tried bird nest soup there for the first time and was only told what it was afterwards! I quite liked it.

I think the room cost about THB1,000 and the hotel was adequate for our purposes.

Hi all:

Thanks for the input. I wanted to try in or near chinatown for a change, the gf said no way too much traffic (seems like traffic everywhere to me ::). Before all your posts were in, we ended not far from the scene at Asia hotel. Double room at net 1350baht was extremely nice, tho the gf hassled me for spending more than the usual 1000 baht. Not far from pratunam, walked to MBK and its right on top of the ratchatewi skytrain station.

May try some of the hotels you recommended next time, thanks again.

Archived