British Citizenship

Guest baldrick

dude,

i suggest that you review carefully the view expressed a couple of times about Thais and dual nationality. I beleive it to be bollox, i understand that up til age 18 a Thai can hold dual cotizenship, but must then decide. Change of nationality ( officially ) to British , would alter the former Thai's status vis land ownership etc.

Of course its possible to get the Brit passport and keep shtum.

Singing national anthemn and shit....i dun think so, after all teh formalities are completed the feckin little red book will arrive in the post.

If all this allegiance to the Queen gets on your tits so much, why bother getting your tart British passport??? why not just get her Thai one stamped with " bearer has the right of abode " stamp ????? thus saving her Thai status and appeasing your Antipodean anti monarchy stance.

Later,

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

I didn't swear an allegence to the queen so why a Thai?--its Jack Straw or whoevers little brain wave. Obeying laws and paying taxes and being a productive citizen is enough. I'm not anti monarchy I just dont like them.

Here in the states , " new " citizens must pledge to our flag , but before that they must pass a 8-10 question quiz / test about the USA. I took a mock test on the net awhile ago , think I got 8 outta 10 correct , guess i'm stuck here... ::

BadaredwhiteandblueBing :beer:

[color:"red"] that can NOT even renouce their citizenship, even if they so desired.

[/color]

Yes, ones can renounce the citizenship, just a few sentences in writing, that is all. However, once it is renounced, forget about changing minds.

Jasmine

throbb said:

dude,

i suggest that you review carefully the view expressed a couple of times about Thais and dual nationality. I beleive it to be bollox, i understand that up til age 18 a Thai can hold dual cotizenship, but must then decide. Change of nationality ( officially ) to British , would alter the former Thai's status vis land ownership etc.

You will have to show me something that says a Thai has to decide at 18. Everything I have read, many by adult dual citizenship holders, says otherwise.

I personally know 2 Thai women that hold US and Thai passports. I have read that the PM's son holds a US passport.

Here is a thread from ThaiVisa:

1) From Immigration Division 3:

Phuket Gazette:

Dual nationality for Thais. If a Thai woman marries a man from the US and she later becomes a US citizen, does the Thai woman lose her Thai citizenship?

Monday, April 12, 2004 - Satchaphand Atthakor, Deputy Director-General, Consular Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

"Section 13 of the Citizenship Act 1965 stipulates that a female Thai national who marries a foreigner and is later granted citizenship by her foreign husband's home country shall maintain her Thai nationality. There is no Thai law that stipulates that she must lose her Thai citizenship. However, she may choose to revoke her Thai citizenship, a decision the Thai government will announce the Government Gazette. For Thai children with dual nationality, the Citizenship Act (3rd issue) 1992 states that a Thai national with a foreign father may declare his or her intention to revoke Thai nationality within the year following the child's 20th birthday. The law does not mention that the child will automatically have his or her Thai citizenship revoked. If the child does not declare his or her intention to revoke Thai citizenship, that child will still hold Thai nationality."

TH

Of course you wouldnt need to swear allegiance to the Queen. You were born her subject.

In the same way that you will no doubt stand up when you hear the Thai national anthem played, your wife will have to swear allegiance...

In return for swearing allegiance your wife will get free health care, free education for her children and a plethora of other benefits.. not a bad deal for uttering a few sentences in my book..

STH

Guest lazyphil

Free at point of usage, loafers on the dole get it free as they pay no tax. I'm not her subject, you may feel you are which is up to you of course.

Archived