Do you wear a Buddha amulet?

Chanchao

I have never worn one, nor have I ever seen my wife wear one. I don't even recall my mother-in-law wearing one. It's more of a rural farmer thing -- the less educated, the more phra pim they have on them. If an educated Thai does wear one, it is likely to be gold and expensive ... and thus more jewellery than a religious item.

Notice who you usually see wearing them ... tuk-tuk drivers, labourers, farmers, lottery ticket vendors. And the ones they wear will have been "blessed" by a famous monk somewhere. Supposed to protect them, bring them money etc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first time learning about the Buddha amulet. I had to look them up on the internet to see what they look like. Good thing I never tried to get on the Jeopardy game show coz I would lose big time! Guess you are never too old to learn something new........

Rug

The missus has given me a few - many actually, but the one I wore for a while fell off whilst I was indulging in the 100baht chang deal at the cathouse. Thankfully it landed in my hand, and wasn't lost.

Not joking - trip report to follow... eventually. It was a memorable evening.

Hi CW,

Okay, you win ::

Actually I don`t have any at all, but I have often enough seen farangs with unbuttoned shirt and with numerous buddhas dangling on a chain so massive they could probably use it to lock their motorbike with. :doah:

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I have to disagree with the uneducated part, a lot of people pay really big bucks for some of them, and I doubt an uneducated farmer/ field worker could afford it...I think it is a cultural think and some take it more seriously. For others it might just be jewelry. For me, I wear it because a friend gave it to me, and it inspires very good memories...

Archived