Warning Smokers

Alfmaz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artiew said:

What amazes me is that their disease-ridden junkyards are right next to their houses, and no-one seems to give a rats. I guess garbage is pretty low on the list of priorities when many in the Kampungs have to wonder where there next meal will come from - I suspect that its a similar situation in many parts of BKK.

I think you just answered your own question...anyone for rat Soufflé? :up:

I have to say that throwing your cigarettes on the street isnt good. As a smoker myself I admit to doing it. However, I would point out that trying to find a rubbish bin in bangkok is almost impossible unless your stood outside a 7 eleven.

I have often walked past soi after soi with rubbish and still not found anywhere to put it.

Hi Chico,

When I served in the Army, smokers were forced to put their butts in their pockets until a suitable receptacle could be found. The alternative was to spend a couple of nights doing 'extras' : usually guard duty.

If you think that walking around with a pocket full of cigarette butts sounds disgusting, you are beginning to grasp the revuslion non-smokers feel when we encounter a potplant which has been used as an ashtray.

Chico said:

I have to say that throwing your cigarettes on the street isnt good. As a smoker myself I admit to doing it. However, I would point out that trying to find a rubbish bin in bangkok is almost impossible unless your stood outside a 7 eleven.

I have often walked past soi after soi with rubbish and still not found anywhere to put it.

In Japan almost all smokers have a small portable ashtray in their pocket. Isn't this a solution for you?

"I never saw a Thai litter"

What??? Just take a trip by train, or go to a place where Thai families go out. Lots and lots of Thais just throwing away garbage (including plastic bags), even when a garbage bin is close by.

Absolutely. When I last travelled on the train in Thailand I saw a railway employee moving through the train with a big green garbage bag and a broom filling the bag with rubbish. "Great... they're finally getting the environmental message here in Thailand", I thought to myself. :up:

Wrong! When he got to the end of the carriage and the bag was full he opened the train door and chucked the bag out on to the tracks as the train was moving along. :banghead:

Thai's just don't get it, and won't, until their country is completely and totally environmentally screwed. :down:

Archived