Warning Smokers

Alfmaz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I wish they would apply the same energetic approach all over Bangkok without just targeting the easy farangs."

I second that.

Along the way to my house there is a stretch of road (~50m) of which one side is empty land. It is completely covered in trash, almost a meter high in places.

A while ago a whole contingent of streetcleaners were out there working. I figured "Great, they are finally cleaning this crap up".

Alas, all they did was move it off the road and put a double row of car tires between the road and the trash. The trash is still there!

For the same effort it took to get those tires there, they could have cleaned out the trash. Likely the reason why they didn't is because they know that it would be covered in trash again within days.

Yet farangs get fined for dropping a (bio-degradable!!) cigarette butt.

Sanuk!

I noticed the uniformed policeman near the beer garden. I noticed he spent at least 3-4 hours sitting in the restaurant across the street with his pad of tickets. He seemed like a good sort of a guy.

A falang and his falang wife got stopped near soi 9 for flicking a cigarette. They were not happy. They were taken back to the scene of the crime.

I think the difference between Thais and falangs is I never saw a Thai litter, but falangd do it so obviously.

At least in Sydney anyway, the city that you really love, the only things that fall to the ground are cigarette butt-ends and not geriatric old-pensioners having a cardiac arrest like the scenario in Brisbane...(yes, forgive me for making a point using people I respect), butt....

(artiew, just like to stir you up on the NSW-QLD divide thing, don't over-react!)

Hi KS,

Same in Indonesia. Really sad to take the train to Bandung from Jakarta and see rows of beautiful rice terraces punctuated by villages where they just seem to throw their rubbish over the closest embankment - the one facing the train in our case. What amazes me is that their disease-ridden junkyards are right next to their houses, and no-one seems to give a rats. I guess garbage is pretty low on the list of priorities when many in the Kampungs have to wonder where there next meal will come from - I suspect that its a similar situation in many parts of BKK.

On your other point, cigarette butts are *not* biodegradeable !!! The toxins which remain in a spent butt are enough to make your skin crawl, and our friends at Phillip Morris seem to have gone out of their way to make the entire product as harmful as possible.

Biodegradability of Cigarette Butts

Archived