activities for long haul flights??

whosyourdaddy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't sleep on aircraft at all, so always have to do something to while away the hours... (Yes, I'm the arsehole with his individual reading light on all night! ::)

So I:

1) Always buy about four of my favourite magazines at the airport before boarding. (I don't normally buy mags at home as I reckon their far less value than a novel, but for flying I do).

2) Take my MP3 Player with me. Has about 3,500 songs on there at the moment, so a huge variety.

3) Take a good book that I haven't started reading yet. Usually a large one, (about 800 pages plus) so it will last me into the trip and hence save room / weight.

4) Crossswords. Always handy, and soaks up a large amount of time if you get into it.

5) Most longhaul airlines hand out newspapers on boarding now, so I grab one of these, and this takes up an hour or so. (And has the crossword too!)

With the above, I usually find the time goes pretty quickly. (Always goes slower heading towards LOS for some reason!!! :p) Fly P.

I am surprised none of you lads stated the obvious: chattin' up the hosties! Good fun. Have gotten into some very interesting conversations. This one is the most memorable:

I was in biz class on one TG flight a few years back (well, a lot of them, but only talking about this one :p). There they have the Sony Watchman video players and a tape library for use (dunno if they still have this). I was flirting with the hostie and mentioned that these movies were all boring -- all violence and no sex. She said that if I had a video camera, she & her friend would go back to the crew's rest and make me one that was all sex! Jing jing! Ya, only joking (I think), but we got even more suggestive as the flight went on. I wonder what she would have done if I DID have a video camera...

And don't get me started with tales of SQ hosties :D, especially in the bar of the Torrance (California) Hilton when they laid over... oops, different subject LOL!

Cheers,

SD

how long did it take you to collect the MP3s !

Not too long. I have a large CD collection at home, (about 800), so ripped all them into MP3 files and dumped them on to the MP3 player. Also downloaded a few off the internet.

Finally, in Khao Sao Road, they sell CD's with MP3 files already burned on to them - about 10 album's worth per CD and cost 150 baht or so. You buy them in terms of genre - "alternative", "hard rock", "chill out" etc. etc. You mightn't like every track on them, but there's usually more than a few I've found worth putting on the MP3 player.

My MP3 player is the best thing I have bought for my travelling - small, lightweight, and my whole music collection in something not much bigger than a cigarette packet. Fly P.

I try to sleep, and usualy get a few hours in. Then I try to walk around a lot. If possible I walk up and down the stairs on the 747's. I find it helps me a lot to move around. I also strike up conversations with folks that hang out by the galley or toilets. I know that there is a new regulation that prohibits this but the first ammedment allows me the right to gather peacably. So Ashcroft can find someone else to pick on. By the way how stongly are the various airlines enforcing this. My sense is its mostly lip service. Oh and one other thing Ipod.

Archived