Credit card application problems

limbo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
soongmak said:

Limbo,

if it makes you feel any beter, they do the same tricks back in the Netherlands. I wanted to make my GF joint beneficiary of my bank account, but it was refused since she was on a temporary visa. My bank account had a credit facility of 2,500 euro's and they didn't want to give credit to foreigners on a temporary visa.

When I protested that I was also beneficiary of the bank account and that they would have two persons instead of one personally liable for paying back a possible (!) debt, didn't make a difference either. I guess it's impossible to share a bank account. So much for the civilized west. :help::down::censored::cussing:

Cheers,

soongmak

soongmak,

Surprised about this..... I went with the GF to the ING, asked an extra VISA card in her name on my account, she got that without questions asked.

I have 2500 Euro on my card, she has 'only' 1250 Euro.

I wanted her to have a card, just in case, and she is still on a tourist visa here.

They took a copy of her passport....

Also this week she opened her own account, on which I have proxy, she got it within 5 minutes even with a bankcard and a creditline of 2500 Euro.

Cheers !

My bank is the Rabobank and it is their policy not to give any credit facilities to a foreigner here on a temporary visa. I can understand that they don't want to give credit to foreigners given the fact that they might leave anytime, but I already have that credit on my bank account. The only thing I wanted to do was put the account in her name.

The crazy part comes next: It is possible to give her full power over my bank account: She has an ATM card, and she can withdraw from my account, sign any papers concerning my account, no probs. The only thing she can not do, is own it. Crazy huh?

Cheers,

soongmak

I just recieved my AMEX card today. Most guys in the office did. I had the same problems with you with thai banks

1. Bank of Asia. Declined since I had only worked 22 months instread of 24 months with the same company

2. Stardard and Charter. Said I was accepted.. never received the card. WHen called I was told that that women quit and took my application

3. Citibank Thailand. Applied. Said I needed to work at a specific job.. which I did.. Said I needed over XX,000 a month, which I have.. Opps sorry still declined

Amex. No problems. Got the card in 2 days.

American Express is having no problem handing out cards to foreigners lately. Before it was just the pay-monthly charge card, but now they are offering a regular credit card.

I know several foreigners who have got this in the last month, and it comes real quick too.

A side note on why banks here may be skitish about giving credit to foreigners. Plenty of Thai students go to the US for school and get several cards, start spending and then go home and never pay. Maybe the bankers figure that all foreigners liek to take advantage of whatever system is in place.

One of my coworkers here mentioned that to me when I was talking about getting a Thai credit card, She jokingly asked if I was going to max it out and bug off like the Thai students in the US do. She said several of her friends did that when they were studying there.

I'm sure its unrelated, but it proves you gotta be careful when lending to foreigners.

THAIHOME said:

"are a wife, baby and a house ties?"

No, I would not consider them ties. I doubt the house is in your name.

You tried to say this decision was based on racism and what I am saying it is not, it is their version of risk management. If you were a banker in your home country, would you loan money to someone that is on, at most a one year visa, working at job that pays maybe a quarter of what that person could make in their home country? From an objective, non-emotional point of view, you would have to question why the person is there in first place and certainly would expect to leave at some time, sooner then later.

TH

Doesn't make me any happier but I'll take it in consideration ThaiHome.

It's very frustrating though, but I guess you figured that much from my posts already.

soongmak,

Interesting situation, and I agree frustrating. I have 2 joint bank accounts and 2 joint credit cards with my Thai wife, and she's still in Thailand waiting to get a visa to join me in the USA.

I'd leave your bank quickly, both to get what I want with a minimum of frustration for myself and to leave such bastards with 2 fewer customers.

Grabii

soongmak said:

Limbo,

... I wanted to make my GF joint beneficiary of my bank account, but it was refused since she was on a temporary visa. My bank account had a credit facility of 2,500 euro's and they didn't want to give credit to foreigners on a temporary visa.

... So much for the civilized west. :help::down::censored::cussing:

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived