Carlsberg in Thailand?

Fatboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carlsberg are indeed pulling out. They must be losing a packet as they've invested millions in infrastructure/advertising etc.

I think Chang are going into draught supplies as I type. There was an article in The Nation the other day about them expanding this area of operations to about 100 selected venues.

San Miguel, Philippines, has also got big plans for Thailand. Was on a visa run the other day and drove through an industrial estate not far from Pattaya and passed the site where San Mig have just "broken ground" and plan to build their plant.

Interesting article in the business section of the Nation or Post htis week (I was looking for the comic section)

It mentioned how many major business's had foreign partners, and how many ended up "Divorced".

Basic thrust was Thai businesses where not up to the Farangs multinationals, which raises another point. Not a lot of Multinationals coming out of Thailand, compered to say Malaysia?

JB

Carlsberg in Denmark have just been buying out their Norwegian partner (Orkla), who owned 45% or so of the company. The reason stated was differences in strategy. Orkla wanted to expand heavily into eastern Europe. They were unable to get a majority stake in Carlsberg to push through their plans, so they sold out.

Pulling out of Thailand can be a direct result of this, as the company now might have a more careful approach than before. And less funds available after the buyout.

Cheers!

Hi cbk,

I heard that, in fact, Carlsberg have a new brewery under construction in Thailand. The reason for the pull out was a dispute with the partner (Chang) and is now in arbitration. :doah:

Chang Draught is available from today (I believe) and is said to be almost indistinguishable from Carlsberg Draught! It is nothing like the bottled version, apparently.:beer:

All this is hearsay.:dunno:

Khwai

Hi,

danish TV yesterday evening reported that Carlsberg been sued by thai ex-partner (Chang/whisky-king) for 3 000 000 000 DKK (1 DKK = 6,5 baht).

The official company explanation some months ago was they were leaving Thailand as that was the only country with a market share less than Heineken's!

:beer:

elef

"The official company explanation some months ago was they were leaving Thailand as that was the only country with a market share less than Heineken's!"

for sure heineken do better in LOS than carlsberg, but I doubt that would be the only country globally? :eek:

So what has Carlsberg's marketing been in LOS? I've seen rather little of it. They can not expect to have much impact on the Thai buyers, so they have to target expats. Haven't seen that they did anything major.

My understanding is that Chang is selling off its remaining stocks of Carlsberg. Then it's gone.

ok, story I got was

>Carlsberg and Chang enter agreement to produce GB in LOS

>CB gives LOS brewery big $$ to promote it as premium beer and go against Heineken

>slipups in understanding see $$ go to promote Chang instead

>Chang sales soar :)

>CB share drops :(

>CB not happy partner. :doah:

>Chang not care.... will market new 'Carlsburg' in short course.

5555555555 TIT

Archived