5000 mph jet flight today

OCgringo

Hi Thalenoi,

The Concorde only came to Oz once, way back in the 80's, and it was quite a site as it glided through the Sydney skyscrapers (!). I vividly remember standing on the roof of our office block in Surry Hills watching it and wondering why they wouldnt allow this wonder of the mechanized world into Oz. Something about a sonic boom that shattered windows and eardrums, but it doesnt seem to have affected Parisians or New Yorkers .....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah - came to Aus pretty regularly, but always on "Tours". Was very popular with Germans to hire the thing and fly it around. Was in Sydney at least once a every year from 92 - 95 I think.

Maybe only came once on a "Official" flight as part of BA.

Only reason I know this is I am a plane buff and went out to see it.

JB

OCgringo said:

well I will not live long enough to get a "star trek" transporter room

but it would be nice to "Been me up Scotty" and put me down in BKK !

I'd settle for one of those "Jet Packs" you strap to your back, would put on my hemet and googles, affix my luggage to my back and scream "yeee haaah" as I cruise to LOS for vacation... :D

Hi thalenoi,

Concord was very, very noisy - which is one reason some countries/airports didn't want it. I once went on a training course at a hotel on the flight path out of Heathrow. Every day at 2.30 (or whenever) Concord would fly over - very low - and the whole place was shaking.:nono:

Pity it couldn't have been developed and improved though because faster travel is indeed a worthwhile goal. I don't know how our American friends take the 22 hour flights - they must like it here in LOS a great deal to put up with that.:grinyes:

Khwai

the problem with Concorde was the sonic booms

Here in California when the space shuttle landed you could hear the sonic boom 75-100 milers away

Also when they first started flying there was a big uproar that they were polluting the upper atmosphere

since they flew so high.

The SST/Concorde was credited as being the environmental anti christ of it's time as well...I remember the big political debete as to whether we should allow it to land, fly over etc, was a fuel economists night mare. Interesting note, the plane was weight critical, meaning you could pay $6000++ from CDG to JFK and still not have your bags on board...I had a chance to fly the concorde on a special airline employee ticket, $700USD or so, one way from either CDG or JFK, and other part of the trip on regular plane...was expensive, but always wanted to do it...never did...

I'd settle for one of those "Jet Packs" you strap to your back, would put on my hemet and googles, affix my luggage to my back and scream "yeee haaah" as I cruise to LOS for vacation

Does anyone remember the footage of Wacko Jacko flying out of the stadium at the end of one his concerts back in the early 90's ? I'll bet he wishes he could do something similar right now - what a completely fucked up life.

Archived