I can''t Cope....So send the Child Home

Torneyboy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TB,

Looks selfish to me, a kid should not pay for the stress of parents....

This being said, there are other solutions to relief the stress of those young parents, for example to have the kid taken care of like 2-3 full days a week by someone else, this will give them more breathing space and some peace for their own time.

Cost money though..... but at the end cheaper than ticket to LOS.

BB

for example to have the kid taken care of like 2-3 full days a week by someone else, this will give them more breathing space and some peace for their own time.

Cost money though..... but at the end cheaper than ticket to LOS.

BB,

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately we don't know half their situation, so it's nothing more than a wild (but valid) suggestion.

TB could ask the parents to consider the above if he feels close enough to them.

I think it is a good thing. I also think that if the story is as you tell it TB it is the best thing for the child in the long run to be raised by the grandparents. She will be in a stable household, which is best for her development.

Mother and father both work in a resaturant and are university students? Doesn't sound like they have any quality time at all for the child. Maybe an hour or 2 a day? A child should be in a home where it will receive constant attention and guidance from a loving and caring adult/adults.

Ideally it would be nice to have the parents keep the child and "make it work" but that isn't the case. Looks like the child is simply part of the parents busy schedules and they have to make time to "fit her in". I see too many parents here in the States, both working full time in stressful jobs, leaving the house in the early morning and returning in the late evening just in time to eat dinner with their kids and put them too bed- basically 12 hours of no interaction with the children which means no opportunity to direct their development. Childcare is left in the hands of a nanny(complete stranger), after school child care center(more complete strangers) or the televison.

Better this 3 year old child stay with family in Thailand for a few years until the parents are in a more stable work and financial situation and can send for her again.

BTW - at 3 years old the child will not be scarred for life to be separated from her parents as long as she will be in another loving and nuturing environment. Humans have short memories and are very adaptable.

Well.....it's going to be incredibly traumatic for this little girl. And she sure as hell isn't going to be forgetting her parents in a few weeks, that's for sure. This is a little different than your usual story. My g/f was brought up by her grandmother, while her younger sister stayed home. But her parents only lived 5 miles away, and saw them on a regular basis.

I'm assuming girl is in Australia now, being brought up with the English language, and western culture. Hard to tell what the situation is, but she is being thrown into another culture on another continent. The parents appearantly have no time to be with daughter, so it's possible she only knows mostly English, and grandparents only know pasa Thai. For all we know, little girl has not even met the grandparents yet. They will probably be total strangers to her.

At three years of age, her parents are abandoning her. While they might have a good reason, the little girl is not going to see it that way. She will be losing both her parents, all her friends, and all her familiar surroundings, all in a single day.

I feel sorry for her, anyway you look at it. Bad age to be doing this. She is old enough to feel the pain of abandonment, but not old enough to understand it, and why it's happening. Only thing she will know is mommy and daddy now live inside the telephone a couple of times a month. ::

HT

HT,

Her parents re Thai, so she will most definately be able to speak Thai.

It may take a while before she's accustomed to her new environement, but if she's prepared correctly and the grandparents are caring and loving, she'll be ok with it after a while as well, just IMHO.

I only asked, because of the two Thai famillies I know here (Thai/Thai, Thai/Lao), none of the kids can speak Thai. One of the daughters is a 19 year old hottie, who works in her parents Thai restaurant. :: To be honest, she does speak a very little, but less than me, and I've only been playing around with it for a year, or so. I asked other parents about this, and they said wanted their kids to start school speaking English, so made it a point to converse in that language since birth (all kids born here).

HT

Hi HT,

That's a strange situation, since the majority of non native families all over the world still speak their native lingo at home. At least that's my impression.

So, these Thai/Thai and Thai/Lao parents only speak/spoke English with their kids? Impressive.

I'm talking Dutch to my baby, since I want her to learn this, besides Thai and English.

Yea....waitress once told me what little she learned came from watching Thai movies at home. ::

Her mom (Thai) speaks English in the kitchen to both her Lao husband, and her two kids. I know her ability because I go there every week, and used to ask her questions about certain words. Every time, except for once, she had to back into the kitchen to ask her mom, so I just stopped asking her anymore. The son knows next to nothing. :dunno:

It should be noted that their Thai restaurant sells other types of food also, but mostly Thai. But most of the customers are non-Thai, so she doesn't really need to know, to work effectively.

HT

Archived