I can''t Cope....So send the Child Home

Torneyboy

Limbo, This discussion raises another topic which my wife finds really annoying.

Two of her sisters work away from the village, one one a rubber plantation, the other between jobs. between them their three kids all live with the grandparents (who are great people)

In fact two of them (One of each sister) refuses to recognise the mother.

My own sister did this when she a big hippie, and my nephew grew up half with me and my mum, then with her once she settled down, but it was never a comfortable relaitionship, he missed my parents (His grandparents)

I Thailand the DarLek is getting very annoyed, because it is the easy way for young kids who get in trouble, get prgnant, "Oh, we'll just give the kid to my mum to look after"

She gets very annoyed, 1 they should NOT have kids if their not ready, and 2 look after them yourself!

JB

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BB

They had her in what we call ""day care""..sort of mini schooll for kids before they go to Primary school.

This was costing Aud $250 a week ...say 7000 THB.

The mom had to cut some shifts now she is at UNI so cash was becoming a problem...mind you they both drive NEW cars :doah:

They live in the city ...no real need for a car at all ...except on weekends i guess.

Hi JJ

Yes both at UNI and work shifts over 6 days a week in different restaurants...is not really a cash thing as they are very well off..compared to many falang in the same situation.

I worry about the childs mindset ...may resent the parents?

Have been on many outings with them and have taken the girl for a short walk away from the parents and she kept looking back...and ran back to the mom after the walk..(no not scared of me) and gave a big hug...cute at the time but now what :dunno:

Hi

She speaks thai and very good english for a three year old.

JJ makes some good points ,,but i guess i keep thinking Falang.

I know the thais do this but i can''t get my head around the fact, you send your child away from friends and family.

We made an offer (my wife loves her..and all kids) to take care of her on weekends.

No.....she will not sleep in our home ...will miss mom/dad etc

:doah:

Hi TB,

What bothers me is the age. Mother probably knew she was going to do this a long while ago. :onfire:

I remember my daughter at age 3. This is when you come home from work, and she almosts trips over her own feet trying to get to you when you come home from work, and can't waiting to hug you. A dog barks, and she is running behind you for protection through instinct. At that age, her parents are her entire world. Everything she knows, and everything she trusts, revolves around you. I can't imagine a worse age to ship her out on. I'm sorry...I'll never buy this as a viable option.

The parents are shit, for throwing their child away IMO. Mother deems more importance on a masters degree, than her own child.???So be it. I'm so glad I don't have to know either one of these parents, and is hopefully maybe only a story. I just can't believe throwing my own daughter away, because I'm too tired to worry about her. WTF?????

HT

I agree that they should not 'dump' the kid, HT.

Although it's not that uncommon to be raised by the grandparents (I know quite a few Thai who were) it does seem like the easiest 'way out' for the parents in this case.

They indeed should've known what they got themselves (and most importantly their daughter) into. There's always a better solution than putting it back onto the plane to LOS IMO. The fact that they're very well of should only facilitate the hunt for a better solution for all involved.

Hi

Yes...she only just got into this UNi course btw..missed by one level..and on appeal/meeting they granted her entry.

They are thinking of themselves at this point imo.

The dad wants to teach english in BKK and she will follow her path in the video/movie/editing field..again back in bkk ...that is the plan for next few years at least.

All well and good but what about the child....OH i should mention she was NOT planned...BTW.

Jimmie Blonde said:

Limbo, This discussion raises another topic which my wife finds really annoying.

Two of her sisters work away from the village, one one a rubber plantation, the other between jobs. between them their three kids all live with the grandparents (who are great people)

In fact two of them (One of each sister) refuses to recognise the mother.

My own sister did this when she a big hippie, and my nephew grew up half with me and my mum, then with her once she settled down, but it was never a comfortable relaitionship, he missed my parents (His grandparents)

I Thailand the DarLek is getting very annoyed, because it is the easy way for young kids who get in trouble, get prgnant, "Oh, we'll just give the kid to my mum to look after"

She gets very annoyed, 1 they should NOT have kids if their not ready, and 2 look after them yourself!

JB

Hi Jimmy,

Guess that your Darlek has a very good point. Sometimes it is amazing how easy Thais stick the children with the grandparents and everybody seems to be at ease with the solution, at least from the outside.

Hi

That is all well and good ......but what about the child.

Has been a long time since i had the pitter patter of little feet in my house....but to then shove the child onto a plane and......see you in a year or three ..imo is not right.

The smell of the mom..the kisses etc etc ..the child must hurt IMO

Archived