Thai-Chinese Funeral

My wife's mum passed away last week. Very sad as she was great: a noted philanthropist, '60s Thai movie star, and decorated by HM King Bumiphol. She ruled the clan with an iron fist in a velvet glove and had the fabled heart of gold. I'll miss her very much and you do not hear that every day about mothers-in-law, especially Thai and/or Chinese ones!

Death was likely the result of congestive heart failure. She had all the symptoms and was by no means a small lady. I know as this is what took both my parents. I tried to get her to go to the doctor and at to least take diuretic meds, but not surprisingly she would not listen. She was, I believe, 65 years old.

If anyone who knows me is interested, on Thursday 8 April is the final ceremony. The buffet will start at noon, followed by a Buddhist ceremony and finally the burning at 4PM. The Wat is on Sukhumvit Soi On Nut 67 (can be seen from On Nut), called Wat Krathum Suea Pla (take the first left after you turn onto the Soi to get into the Wat). She is in the sala located LH side far end of the car park, just the other side of the crematorium. I am sure it will be the only funeral going at the time (or at least the only one with both Chinese & Farangs in attendance).

I'll be there from noon onward on the 8th in case anyone wants to attend. If you have never been to a Thai funeral, be sure to wear black and/or white as any other colors are a faux pas. No need to bring/do anything, but if you wish to give a donation that's up to you and will be appreciated. It'll go to a favourite ma-in-law cause (food/shelter/wat improvements for upcountry poor).

Cheers,

SD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi suadum,

How is your wife holding up? OK, I hope. Sounds like it was not a 'sudden' departure, but I'm sure is taking a toll on her, regardless.

Sorry to hear this. My condolences, also.

HT

Actually, it was sudden even tho' she had some health probs no one considered them to be immediately life threatening.

Wife is doing fine after the initial shock & funeral (that was tough) and as I suspected, taking her place as the new matriarch. She is the youngest sibling, but far and away the strongest, smartest and a natural leader. Ma of course knew this as was subtly grooming her for it for the past few years.

Problem now is that pa (step-father, actually) wants everything (assets) and will not distribute as ma wanted. My wife saw this coming and hired a lawyer to tie things up so he could not get it all (already some 300 baht of gold has "gone missing" under his care). He was not pleased. Sisters did not believe that pa was so devious and spoke ill of wifey for doing this. Now they rever her and have no problem accepting her as the leader despite her age (41).

But the good thing is that it helped her get over the sudden loss.

Cheers,

SD

suadum,

My condoleances as well, hopefully all will work out.

I had a very similar experience here as well with my now ex-wife.

She was the oldest and natural leader as well, when her mom died ( dad died earlier, she took over and handled all very well....

The shock and the depression happened 2 months after the burial.

It took her over 6 months to get out of that black hole.

Make sure your wife is not getting involved too much in settling those affairs, cos there is ALWAYS a price to pay, sometimes soon, sometimes later.

And then you better stand by her as well.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

300 bht of gold!Fuckin ell,thats about 30,000 UK quids worth ::.No wonder the rest of the family are rather pissed off.

This happens alot in the UK aswell.The family are locking horns over the cash even before the coffin lid as been screwed down.No thought for the departed. :(

Archived