Thai words having a different meaning in English

limbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SorenP,

Not really. :)

Dtam is pronounced with "Dtor Dtao" a hard d-sound somewhere between a "d" and a "t" and a short "a" sound. That is why it is often tranliterated with "dt". It really doesn`t sound remotely like Damn(ed) in english/american.

"Ruat" not "Lourd" although I agree that generally initial "r" sounds often sound like a "l". But try listen to speakers on TV and radio and you will hear it pronounced correctly.

In thai you do have words sounding somewhat like the danish word "Lort". The word for "straw" and "tube" is in thai "Lawt" (english pronounciation) and that comes out exactly like the jutlandian version of the word lort. ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

samak said:

and there is a line in the song Kokain which goes "she don't like" which is pronounced by thais "see don lai" and this has a totally different meaning in isaan!

I asked GF what "see don lie" means, pronounced it exactly as spelled. She said, "Pooying mai chorp"! :doah:

What does it mean?

Hi Samak,

See Gan, See pronounced with a falling tone means having sex indeed. A rather crude term though. I haven`t got around to asking a TG if she "likes Seacon (Square)" ::

Lai or rather laai with a high tone/long vowel I would suspect?? means much or many.

But what about the "don" ??? I don`t get that. :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived