taxis in Pattaya

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MaiLuk said:

just approach any thai guy on the street and tell him pai bangkok. You will never see a thaiguy get more excited or move any faster.

?????

OK my fault. All moto guys and any other thai guy milling around doing nothing on beach or second road knows exactly where the taxi mafia hacks are. If you tell one of these guys you want to go to bkk, they run off at top speed and within 10 minutes a taxi and a thai guy with dark sunglasses will show up. Once you negotiate the price, the taxi guy pays the sunglasses guy and off you go.

I believe the taxi guy gets 500 bhat, anything over that goes to the guy with sunglasses.

The last time i did this, the thai guy who ran off to find the sunglasses guy came back and stood their beaming as if he was responsible for putting together a major deal. I assume he gets something for his trouble.

In pty all taxis have to go thru the mafia. The only time I've seen otherwise was my first trip to pty. Was lucky and saw a bkk taxi driving down second road and i flagged him down. No mafia involved but i'm sure he was taking a big risk.

I asked a talkative taxi guy one time if he could just take a passenger from pty without paying the sunglasses guy. He said "No! Cannot!" and showed me with his hands that they might crash into his taxi if he tried.

The agencies don't use the meter taxis they use minivans or whatever. Don't know how they work it out with the mafia guys.

Hi MaiLuk,

TGF has a katoey friend in BKK driving taxi. Last time he drove us to Pattaya he started to speak with motorbike taxi holding beside us waiting for green light. He told us he that way fixed a passenger for the return travel - price 800, 500 for him and 300 for the motorbike taxi.

I once visited in Pattaya the company driving both thai airways limousine service (they have to pay commission to thai airways) and also the "competing" limousine service of Don Muang airport! Most - or all - of the "hotel" limos are coming from this company as well as minibuses. I don't know if this is the mafia but it looks like that that company has a monopoly!

elef

Archived