Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really want to be a geek?

Hard drives are large enough these days, I have a small 4 gig partition for my OS. I install all my programs to an administration installation point on another partition with my data.

If I have to do a clean OS install (and sometimes, with all the knowledge in the world, you really can't tell what the fuck happened with Microsoft OS) I can re-install my apps PDQ.

<<burp>>

Gummi,

I cant do that....

I do have a C-partition for OS and other programs, and a D-partition for all my data, but my OS is on a recovery CD from Toshiba that does a full clean of the HD to re-install Windows..... it will 100 % loose all the rest.

No way to choose only the windows re-install.....

BB

not geeky but can still beat you in bridge :p

LaoHuLi said:

my understanding was that sasser was a worm, not a virus and stopped by the firewall at the router as it can not see any ip address except that of the router.?? :dunno:

anyway the patch for this was issued AFAIK 3 days before it struck, so I have little sympathy for those caught, Also have read that it could have been much more vicious if it had not been so badly written.

You have little symapthy for those caught?

Why? because they don't spent money on gateways, routers, firewalls, anti-virus software? If they ever would know what all that is about in the first place and why they would need it.

And how would they know that patch was issued 3 days before the worm walked its way through the net?

I have less than symapthy for the idiots who write virusses, these are the culprits who destroy the internet usage.

And for some mysterious reason I did not get patch KB835732 automatically downloaded, although many patches are, go figure Microsoft and it's vaporware. I have no sympathy for a company that needs 20 years before it can issue an almost decent piece of software and neither do a I have sympathy for a company who treats his customers as shit such as Symantec, cfr Norton Internet security and Anti-virus software.

And yes, I worked 32 years in software development, and as such do know how to screw up and deliver shit to customers.

But I am behind a firewall and have to delete many emails with attachements every day.

Nevertheless having up-to-date anti-virus software runnung is a must, unfortunately. And no solution yet for the next big internet problem: SPAM. These guys must be jailed for 10 years...

Hi,

"And no solution yet for the next big internet problem: SPAM. These guys must be jailed for 10 years... "

At least.

Agree with your sentiments on the virus issue as well. One can hardly expect that every Internet user is an IT expert as well who knows how to protect his/her computer. They are not to blame, those assholes writing the viruses are.

Sanuk!

>I do have a C-partition for OS and other programs, and a D-partition for all my data, but my OS is on a recovery CD from Toshiba that does a full clean of the HD to re-install Windows..... it will 100 % loose all the rest. No way to choose only the windows re-install<

Last two computers I bought had the same problem, the entire hard drive is formatted when doing a recovery (one of them FAT32) and all the extra trial software, ISP offers and adware get reinstalled with Windows. Last computer had a conflict between Norton 2004 (six month trial) and my hardware (floppy drive).

I recommend getting a full version of XP Pro. The installation CD offers repair features, choice of partition size and format. And of course doesn't install all the other bs.

What happened with this, then?

Btw, anyone else have problems playing pirate DVDs on laptops? I'm finding that fewer and fewer work on my Dell Inspiron 8200, bought September 2002. Have no problems with legit ones and the pirates work on a newer cheap non-laptop DVD player.

Archived