Qantas...And not even a Flight to Paris

Torneyboy

We flew SQ on our trip to BKK in April...excellent service.

Only 1.5 hours on the ground in Sin btw......some shopping and away you go .

Anz fell down the ranks after they pulled the plug on Ansett..all the Oz agents boycotted them and pushed any other airline except those B*******S

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not wanting to defend AirNZ but just to add a little history, when AirNZ bought Ansett, there was a paralell deal in which Qantas would get access to NZ skys and AirNZ would get access to Australian skys, this makes good sense when you're buying a local feeder airline such as Ansett.

So Ansett is bought, Qantas gets access to NZ skys and then when AirNZ is to get access to Aussie skys they got a giant raspberry from the Aussie government.

This of course makes a feeder airline rather pointless if it's got nothing to feed.

Again not defending AirNZ, I'm pissed off at them for raising the amount of airpoints recently to 50% more than other airlines charge for the same journey.

Ahh well, f**k 'em

Cheers

Coss

Hi

They pulled the plug on Ansett..i think was 60 mill to be injected and did not happen.

They tried to get SQ to join but all went belly up to fast ...not much help from the gov either.

Left a sour taste in agents minds and ....book any carrier before mention a fare on ANZ :(

Nervous_Dog said:

Olympic -farrkkk, they are the only airline worse the Brit Rail.

Agreed, absolutely, but the downunder legs that they ran to BKK were always near empty so that made it ok - but just chokas BKK to Aus. If you have a lowly A$50M or so to spare, then Olympic is currently up for sale, of course even at this price no-one wants this debt-ridden flagship carrier of Greece and even in an Olympic Games year! :(

QANTAS' problems all stem from top-heavy 'management' who's never had to face real competition. Abundant profits are divied up among esteemed investors while less and less goes to maintenance, employees, etc.

The pathetic flight crew's knowledge of the service industry extends to serving themselves -- another freebie to Bali this weekend hey Cyril? Little sis score a ticket too, mate?

Still their safety record speaks for itself and I would fly with them anyday ahead of Garuda and the like.

Just struggle to justify paying US$800-1,500 to fly the 8 hours from Tokyo to Sydney when mates fly 14 hours from Tokyo to NY for US$250.

Hi Roppongi,

You may have heard that Qantas are launching a cut-price airline to compete with Virgin on Oz domestic routes. Whilst there is some legal wrangle over the name 'Jetstar', I am at a loss to imagine how much more 'cut-down' their service level could become over the Qantas-branded planes. OK, you'll have to pay for snacks, but the cabin crew couldnt spend any *less* time attending to the needs of their passengers. The rush to Virgin has been a virtual stampede - my main complaint is that their cattle class has even less legroom than Qantas ! Perhaps Jetstar will have bus-style grabhandles and tall people will stand for the duration of the flight .....

Archived