about using the word racism...

pattaya127

"Asian is also a word with no negative connotations. I bet you though if you would call every japanese, Korean, Chinese or Thai gentleman an Asian all the time, do you think he feels good being singled out on his asian treats? I don't think so. It is still a way of saying you are different than us and it reeks of discrimination"

Definetely. I've dated a Korean born norvegian girl in France recently BTW, this issue was pissing her off seriously, and the fact many people would take it as a joke when I or she declared she was norvegian didn't improve the matter.

She loved to complain though ::, and I kinda enjoy using racist expressions in casual talk. Sometimes derogative, sometimes not

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"i am a "european", and even though for some "americans" that seems nowadays to be a term to insult us "europeans" i don't see anything remotely insulting in either "european" or "asian". "

Well... "American" is regulary and blatantly used as an insulting term nowadays.

For some reason, in France, "ultra liberal" is the new trendy insult. It's adressed to all politicians who try and step(although carefully) in wise economic directions and it seems to have a terrifying effect on the collective psyche ::

what's wrong with the place???

Likely...I wonder what went so wrong with a culture for his members don't even dare to use terms like"Nigger" or "Negro"when discussing them but rather come up with hilariously coward expressions like"The "N" word"?

Khun Zaad:

Well, this thread IS interesting. Seems like everybody has their own definition of "racism" and what attitudes and practices constitute same. Attitudes are shaped by what is learned from others and personal experiences. I think most of us could agree with that.

But what I *do not* agree with is the (often) practice of someone referring to another poster as "ignorant" (a symptom of, perhaps, a genetic claim to some form of superiority of the Nazi era) when, in fact, an interpretation of a word may be merely a personal one shaped by personal experiences.

Similarly, I think that saying "...if someone is insulted by the bare term "farang" then he should better spend some time to get to understand the language, and the root of that term before making an ass out of themselves..." to be uncalled for. As you, yourself, stated shortly before this insult, "Some people do not take 'farang' as an insult, some do. For me it mostly depends on how it's used...Anyway, no matter how many threads we spend on this, we'll never agree on its definition, simply because we all use and hear it in different ways."

I simply do not believe calling somebody "ignorant" or an "ass" because of their interpretation (however personal or "out-of-mainstream" it may be) is necessary...and may call into question the qualities/nature of the name-caller(s). I mean, I could refer to somebody as "ignorant" who uses the concepts of "national origin/citizenship" and "race" seemingly interchangably as ignorant or an "ass" . But, I prefer to merely attribute such confusion to not having the same concept of those terms as I (or the inability to make such a distinction) for whatever reason.

I *do not* agree with is the (often) practice of someone referring to another poster as "ignorant"

------------------------

Thanks for bringing that up. Nothing excuses this type of arrogance, which I am sure prevents many other members to post their opinions or even a simple fact of life they went thru while in Thailand.

FlyW, in that post, could have added what he wrote without blasting the poster he replied to.

The one thing we, who spent a lot of times in LOS, residents and LT visitors are often guilty of is that "know it all" or "I know, you don't!" arrogant attitude but really, i find members, acquaintances, friends with a few weeks of traveling thailand under their belt have a very good grasp of many aspects of Thailand's daily life and idiosyncracies, then sure, some can really get into the details and nuances and add to a subject.

Which is what i am trying to do with this thread. Avoid throwing words as "racism, period!" and discuss the problem in depth.

Guest lazyphil

<<Likely...I wonder what went so wrong with a culture for his members don't even dare to use terms like"Nigger" or "Negro"when discussing them but rather come up with hilariously coward expressions like"The "N" word"?>>

You will find blacks can use the *N* word towards each other in a friendly way, thats my understanding anyway. For whites its different, I wont use that word as its a pretty shitty thing to say, just my opinion AP. I dont see any corolation between saying the *N* word and bravery/cowardlyness, just respect to others feeling, mostly blacks. When discussing blacks there are other words to use and unless your a total wanker its possible to suss them out!!

Sounds like crap to me!

My girlfriend hates my lame excuse of saying 'I am a falang". she claims I am not. Take that forever you want - I know some will.

Was recently looking at some of my baby pictures and was amazed that one of my pictures, I look Chinesse.

As far as races go, I have a hard time telling one from another, but then I have been called, at one time or another, every race there is.

The funniest story I heard dealing with race was from a black woman who was black. She claimed there 'are niggers and there are black folks'. Take this which ever way you want to.

Lasting comment: calling somebody ignorant, dumb,stupid, black, Asian, etc. can in some cases, be grouped all together - some put it under the heading of "Now we know the maturity /intellectual capacity of the speaker/writer".

"When discussing blacks there are other words to use and unless your a total wanker its possible to suss them out!! "

Not discussing blacks, but the word "Nigger" .It's become so taboo for some PC mob they came up with the " The N Word" expression . Great! Thanks a lot (or him who can't be named?) they haven't censored Ellroy yet...

BTW does anyone know where I can get a BBBJ in Paris?

Khun Chongnoi,

You're slightly confused.

I was replying to Flyonzwall and you seemingly confused / mixed up our words.

Fly wrote:

"...if someone is insulted by the bare term "farang" then he should better spend some time to get to understand the language, and the root of that term before making an ass out of themselves..."

I wrote:

"Some people do not take 'farang' as an insult, some do. For me it mostly depends on how it's used...Anyway, no matter how many threads we spend on this, we'll never agree on its definition, simply because we all use and hear it in different ways."

Hope that clears it up.

Me confused? :: Okay...I'll admit that some threads confuse me...and this one must've also. I was confused by what seemed like conflicting opinions from what I thought were originating from the same poster (that is, you). Please accept my humble apology. I stand corrected.

Archived