about using the word racism...

pattaya127

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite simple really. Racism is when one is treated different on the basis of one's race. There is a lot of that going on here (Fly has gone into that already) but calling a westerner a farang is not, unless of course the fact that one is a farang means one is treated differently from a non-farang.

I often use the wod farang myself, if for instance I want to point out a westerner amongst a crowd.

When it comes to overcharging of farang in Thailand there is definitely a case of racism. Lots of countries have different prices for different groups, but not often is this based on race.

The Fine Arts department overlooking the historical places in Thailand can be considered racist when charging farang a different entry fee that non-farang. Often though the higher fee is quted for tourists. That would mean a Thai living abroad and being a tourist in Thailand would have to pay up, but a farang living in Thailand not. However, the low ranks at the ticket counter usually assume a farang to be a tourist and requests the higher fee, even if the farang is not a tourist. In such cases the ticket counter clerk is a racist even though the entry policy is not.

Last weekend I entered Khao Sam Roi Yod, just south of Pranburi and Hua Hin. Upon entering I was at first quoted 200 Baht for myself. When I ask in perfect Thai 2 tickets for 2 adults + entry fee for a car, I was ask to pay 70 Baht total. The 200 Baht wasn't mentioned at all anymore.

Now was this person at the ticket counter at first racist or ignorant? IMO the latter

>>>FlyW, in that post, could have added what he wrote without blasting the poster he replied to. <<<

i did not blast the poster i replied to, i blasted people in general who get offended by a term which does not have any offensive meaning or connotation.

it is utter ignorance not to research a foreign language a bit closer before being offended by a term of that language they clearly have not reseached enough, and in turn do offend people of this country who will use that term in a perfectly neutral manner.

now, if someone asks: "is the term 'farang' offensive?" i will not blast anyone, i will simply answer the question including a reasoning why it is not offensive.

but if people who have only a very limited or nonexistant understanding of that language and argue that the term 'farang' is offensive, then this attitude is offensive for anyone who has spent time and effort to get to know that language.

so, for christ's sake, the term 'farang' by itself is linguistically a perfectly neutral description. if someone will use that term with an offensive label attached, or with a certain tone that is meant to offend, than it has nothing to do with the term 'farang'.

also the term 'farang' does not carry a burden of discriminatory history as the term 'nigger' does, so i can only conclude that there is more of some sort of paranoia involved in being offended by the term 'farang' than any factual reason.

>>>The one thing we, who spent a lot of times in LOS, residents and LT visitors are often guilty of is that "know it all" or "I know, you don't!" arrogant attitude but really, i find members, acquaintances, friends with a few weeks of traveling thailand under their belt have a very good grasp of many aspects of Thailand's daily life and idiosyncracies, then sure, some can really get into the details and nuances and add to a subject.<<<

if it comes to thai language (and the term 'farang' and its uses are clearly part of thai language) then that person who has spent a few weeks travelling in thailand should have at least some grasp of that language before interpreting and stating his/her opinions on that language.

>>>(a symptom of, perhaps, a genetic claim to some form of superiority of the Nazi era) <<<

please clarify that a bit further.

Guest lazyphil

<<a burden of discriminatory history as the term 'nigger' does,>>

Gee, according to AmmoresPerros you have courage to say that *N* word ::

well, yeah, you can blame a lot on my ancestry, but at least with the tragic chapter of slavery we had very little to do with.

easy for me to bring up that 'courage'. ;)

but i guess that had very little to do with any sort of benevolence from our side, but because in those day of when slavery was so profitable we were just too busy fighting each other.

In such cases the ticket counter clerk is a racist even though the entry policy is not.

-------------------------

And you've been in Thailand how long?........ ::

You are being charged against the regulations (BTW, this proves that it is not racism against farangs, otherwise again farangs residents and visitors are same skin, 2 different races?) because you are in their eyes a tourist and they are too lazy or can't care less to go over the rules with you. Racism is not what you said IMO, it's about hatred, deep dislike.

The difference of color merely shows a different status/perception, which may lead to cultural prejudices and wrong regulations, but not to visceral, deep-seated rejection, personal or institutional. IMO at least.

I am sure some thais hate farangs, but in that specific case, you can't prove it or prove it's systemic (was the point of dble pricing, BTW) , after all it may just illustrate hot weather, "the booth is hot, please, farang, buy the ticket or go, I don't care, I want to eat my som tam...".

then i will be all nice, PC and kumbaya and let everybody sprout rubbish into the air unchallenged. is that what you want from me? ::

fly's new policy for the mentally challenged...

Archived