about using the word racism...

pattaya127

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just have consideration for other people and a little modesty. If it's PC, then we don't have the same definition of the word. Your posts, even with knowledgeable info, show as much personal bias, as any other, be aware of the way you post sometimes. Thanks

When I get prices cheaper then my girl friend does - is that reverse racism or is it being able to handle a transaction better? I think racism, refereneces to Nazi Germans, etc. are being used in certain fashions that are called flaming by some on the board, but because of the way they are used, are over looked.

If a citizen gets a lower price by their government then a non-citizen - is that racist? If the citizen is black, white, red , yellow, or white and gets a discount - how is that racist?

It is hard to believe this all started over 5 baht!

flyonzewall said:

so as a fitting punishment i will write on the blackboard a thousand times: be nice to retards ;)

post deleted because of sick joke. I suspect you are a troll, if not, remember people may have family members who have suffered from the holocaust.

P127

Fly,

I often enjoy reading your posts as you seem to have an insight to Thai culture that I sometimes lack...unfortunately you also display an arrogance which I usually lack. This arrogance keeps me from always taking your points without also adding a grain of salt.

Am I "ignorant" for taking umbrage when I am marginalized by being placed into a group separate from those who "belong" by the taxi driver who is supposed to treat me with respect as I am his customer??? I don't think so.

As another poster suggested, I don't find fault with farang generalizations invloving farang food or in some cases, farang customs. But just as it is not cool to say "all Jews are money grabbers" so is it uncool to suggest that all farangs are... anything.

I would admit that most of these taxi drivers do not mean disrespect, but it is impolite to call me by a racial term instead of "sir" as they would address a Thai customer, and they need to be educated about that. I have lived here too long to be continually told that I am different and do not really belong by the servant who drives me to my desired destination.

How long do you suppose you'd last in a western country as a cabdriver if you started the conversation with "Hello, foreigner"

Now, let me give an example of a fairly normal exchange when my wife and I are in the taxi together. (I do speak enough Thai to understand most of what is being said and I will transcribe into English even though the conversation is completely in Thai.)

Driver: Where are you going?

Me: To Sukhomvit soi 49 (driver nods, we enter)

Driver (to my wife) Is the foriegner your boyfriend?

Wife: He is my husband.

Driver: Oh. How long have you known the foreigner?

Wife: About 3 years.

Driver: Where is the foreigner from?

Wife: America

Driver: How old is the foreigner?

Wife: 34

Notice: He never once uses the term "Your husband" in the questioning. I once counted I was called "the foreigner" 18 times by the driver when speaking to my wife. Now, explain again why I shouldn't feel insulted about that? It is a ridiculous display of discrimination, intentional or otherwise, and should not be accepted with a simple TIT.

P,

You kind of lost me with this post of yours.

You're referring to hatred etc. What at you talking about.

Ignorance is a better word to use in my sample.

Curious to know about if, as a falang, I get something for less at the market than a thai? How can this happen as I don't really bargin (but was a repeat customer). (it was some music cd's)

thanks for the comments.

>I would admit that most of these taxi drivers do not mean disrespect, but it is impolite to call me by a racial term instead of "sir" as they would address a Thai customer, and they need to be educated about that. I have lived here too long to be continually told that I am different and do not really belong by the servant who drives me to my desired destination.

Dave, you perfectly articulated my thoughts. I am getting sick of being called a foreigner by the people who get my money only if I pay them for their services.

Street vendors would ask my gf "what does your foreigner want?", "will your foreigner eat this?"... it's disrespect that comes from the depths of their hearts.

Archived