Ever wonder why so many Katoeys in LOS?

Lamock Chokaprret

No not a poll. Just wondering if anyone has ever pondered the question. After living here 3+ years I certainly have. And I have a theory to propose. Feel free to shoot me down if you've got a better one.

My wife, bless her heart, has this burning desire to play at putting make up on me. Constantly bugging me about this. I've managed to decline to date. But I know a friend who's wife is the same way to him. My wife has put make up on her little (male) cousin while he was asleep. Imagine his reaction when he woke up. Imagine mine if this ever happens to me... but that is another story.

Anyway, my theory is this. If this behavior is as wide spread as I think it is, the little boys may like the attention they get when it happens to them. This breeds a cycle of more and more effeminate behavior until they eventually go all the way (go post op), or just end up as one of these highly effeminate Thai males we see running around.

A related but different question is, what happens to all the old katoeys? Rarely do you ever see one over 30 or 35. I've asked my wife this question and she has no answer.

Posted in relationships section because it seems to me to be a issue in relationships among Thais. Feel free to move it if it makes sense.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>A related but different question is, what happens to all the old katoeys? Rarely do you ever see one over 30 or 35. I've asked my wife this question and she has no answer.

Could be 2 years since somebody posted about a gathering of Thais somewhere in the UK. Several couples were "katoey" based. Some of the katoeys were old.

The point was - they age like men and look like old men. Not like old women.

IMO, i think the culture of transgenderism, post or pre-op, has a place in the general culture of manyu countries in Asia. They were recognized as such, and rarely ostracized. Therefore, to this day, there is few inhibitions in being openly katoey.

I can guess that the crowning (at first) of a few katoeys in beauty pageants, the story of the boxing champ, plus the latest movies and talk shows with them (as host too, i think) are not making the trend downwards, as concerns Thailand.

In UBon, just outside the main disco at closing times, there were over a dozen of them hanging out every night. I was talking with some friend girls i know there, and they confirmed to me that more than a few straight boys often go with them. Reasons as i asked were just to have sex without having to talk a girl to death into it, or the GF cannot always be with them, or they don't have money for a nice P4P, and katoeys can give it for free, etc......

Definitely not the same mind frame about sex as farang guys who are really defensive about katoeys (you like Ks therefore you're gay)). As I read here, at least.

[color:"red"] (you like Ks therefore you're gay)). [/color]

Gee P127........ I like KS ........... does that mean I'm gay as well? :neener:

Well...I think the Thai's acceptance allow the Katoeys to show themselves. I must admit, I've seen some great looking Katoeys...I've been tempted :)

A

Hey P127, I'm heading to Beale AFB in August so when ever u make it back to SF I'll buy u a beer or two.

I'm in the tolerate them class myself. I don't go out of my way to see them. But they are there to be seen. Speaking of outrageously pretty katoeys, anyone seen the one on Pattaya walking street in Jenny Star Bar? Guarantee if you've seen her you know which one I'm talking about.

But remember, the question is not why you see so many or can they be tolerated. It is what is the cause for the numbers you see? Still waiting to hear a competing theory. Not that we'll ever really know for sure though.

Maybe the culture is so tolerant of them, they can come and go as they please, no need to hide in special clubs or corners...? SFO is very Gay/transgender tolerant and we see them all over, go back east to say Philadelphia, and they moreless hide, or stay in their own little area...

anyone seen the one on Pattaya walking street in Jenny Star Bar? Guarantee if you've seen her you know which one I'm talking about.

-----------------------------

I must tolerate them even more than you, i think there is more than just one pretty katoey at Jenny's :D. The place is my late night hang out in Pattaya. Though I think preferable to be known as a patron, not...a customer ::.

I have thought that maybe some of them become Katoeys so that they can become sex workers and make money? This could be a very small piece of the puzzle.

Rug

Archived