Wtach out and be aware: date rate drugs?

Lord Toad

A good friend who is no idiot (ex senior UK Police officer) had a bad experience this week.

He is not fully certain of his moves but this is his basic recall.

He had few drinks in Bus Stop to watch the football and seems to recall talking to a couple of girls. He seems to have seen them later in the Nana Hotel bar where he remembers talking to another English guy.

He woke up 18 hours later in his room in the Street Lodge minus money, watch, etc (nothing serious but clearly could have been). He also had a bad cut on his head.

He believes that something was slipped into his drink. Two days later he is still feeling the effects of the drugs. The cut on the head could have been getting into a taxi.

Very scary as this person is not a stupid person and is normally well aware of what is happening around him. His suggestion it could have been a date rate drug. He has reported to the police, for insurance purposes, and they were totally disinterested.

It can be a dangerous place out there and I fear it is getting more dangerous.

Be aware.

Safty deposit boxes and hotels that insist upon IDs of all visitors are good ideas.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's really terrible. Bastards!

Hope he gets over it soon.

The point of going out is to have fun, meet people, have a few drinks etc, but in today's world one must keep an eye on one's own drink AT ALL TIMES! I love this world, really! :(

Wonder "which" police your friend went to, seems the Mib overall could care less about falangs except for their money but the Tourist Police may actually care. Wonder if he shouldn't get blood tests, etc at Bumrungrad (sp) to see what was really given to him.

Even if you don't leave your drink unattended I think there's still danger. Last year while in the Soi 7 Beer Garden had these 2 older hags that just wouldn't go away as I tried to look for any stunners in the house. Anyway, in my peripheral vision twice I saw one of the hags make EXTREMELY quick and subtle moves with her hand to my beer mug while I was looking up at the girls about the bar. It was so quick and subtle that I really couldn'y say for sure she was trying something but it got my guard up.

As to you friends terrible experience, not sure which is the worse crime: either the girls who could easily have killed him with whatever drugs they gave him while drinking or the lack of interest or care by the police.

>>>>Wonder "which" police your friend went to, seems the Mib overall could care less about falangs except for their money but the Tourist Police may actually care.<<<

be logic.

the tourist police might be nice and diplomatic about it, but there is jackshit they can do. why should police care much about a farang who most likely was drugged, but cannot remember how and by whom?

there is no frigging chance that the culprits will be caught. so, what could police possibly achieve by 'caring'?

especially because the guy was only very slightly hurt, and needed a paper for the insurance.

there are far more important things to care about for police, and a case of drugging without any lasting damage done is rather on the bottom of the priorities compared to a lot of other stuff. and i don't think that has anything to do with the victim having been farang.

I am not sire you are right.

Incidents like this can get out of control and lead to death (heart attack is an obvious potential side effect).

Thailand spends a great deal of effort on attracting tourism: this is an attack on that industry. And the point about this was that it was not in an obvious sex tourist bar. If they can do this here it can spread to the beaches and the best bars etc.

To me the police should at least pay attention and ask a few questions. But my experience of the Thai police is they don?t care damn and have no chance of ever catching anybody except by mistake. I do not think that either helps tourism, or is sending the right signals to those doing such deeds. The bad guys know they can get away with it and it is almost a message to them to get on with it!

The police have duty to protect all people in the country and not decide who they should and should not help!

Well I suppose drugging is small potatoes compared to other things that are going on in Thailand and as a result is not highly prioritised.

However it seems this attitude also extends to more serious crimes.

Take Pattaya for example and you will see there are an amazing number of farang suicides that clearly are not being investigated very thorougly.

The recent one of the Sydney used car dealer who allegedly committed suicide with his hands tied behind his back readily springs to mind.

There are also numerous farangs who seem to jump off buildings in Thailand....What is the deal here one might ask..

>>>Incidents like this can get out of control and lead to death (heart attack is an obvious potential side effect).

Thailand spends a great deal of effort on attracting tourism: this is an attack on that industry. And the point about this was that it was not in an obvious sex tourist bar. If they can do this here it can spread to the beaches and the best bars etc.<<<

yes, and?

should they because of a few isolated incidents of drugging sent their whole force out on a whitch hunt to search for possible culprits, search handbags of ladies, even raid bars? ;)

there are far more pressing matters, such as the gangviolence, especially the racer gangs.

>>>But my experience of the Thai police is they don’t care damn and have no chance of ever catching anybody except by mistake. <<<

then i really think that you should get more experience with the thai police, because that comment is completely off and far from reality. on the opposite - the thai police has an extremely efficient informer network, huge intelligence files on all sorts of stuff (including farang residents) and is very aware of who is doing what. just because you don't see certain things does not mean that they are not existing. just because the police force is riddled with corruption does not mean that they are not able.

the sukhumvit area has at any time of the day or night countless plainclothes officers around, and regularly lots of people are arrested for all possible reasons, including druggings when they get caught in the act. if your friend would have been able to point out who it was, or the approximate description of the culprit you can be sure that there will be plainclothes officers on the lookout with that description.

you can be also sure that this case has been noted, and that police officers will be looking into the matter, if that is just an isolated incident, or if there is a gang operating.

thailand does protect its tourism industry in terms of police presence, often to an extend that there is less manpower available to protect local neighborhoods.

do you think it is just a funny coincidence that you can still walk around relatively safely completely drunk at any time of the night on sukhumvit while in many areas especially on the outskirts that would be complete madness?

>>>The police have duty to protect all people in the country and not decide who they should and should not help! <<<

i believe that as well. but then, trust me, sukhumvit and silom would hardly be as safe as they are.

by the way, many years ago i was drugged as well in a different country. a frightening experience. i did not bother to go to the police. i was just happy that i got away unharmed. this is not the west here, and one cannot expect forever not to be touched by the problems of those countries. behind that "LOS" bullshit this is a country with very serious problems.

Archived