Wtach out and be aware: date rate drugs?

Lord Toad

>>>I feel less safe at night in London than Bangkok<<<

it's difficult to describe here.

what i have heard of london is that it can be very dangerous, but here it's more like that when things get violent it gets far more brutal.

generally farang are left alone, it's weird, but it often is far less dangerous for farang than for thais themselves (i do benefit a lot from that). the only thing is that when for some reason things go off, they go off very very bad.

there is also no way to recognise baddies here. no dresscode, no particular haircuts, nothing which distinguishes some real nasty fucker from a normal kid.

you may feel a lot safer, but it does not necessarily mean that you are actually that safe. and, in the last year it got a whole lot worse than it once was. noticably.

do not underestimate bangkok.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Statistically bkk is far more violent with far more murder no doubt--it does give a falang a false sense of security I know--one point though, a violent act like a stabbing or shooting is same anywhere, I aknowledge bkk has more rampant crime but I cant understand how a singular violent crime/murder can be more brutal than another if death or serious injury is the end result of it.

>>>but I cant understand how a singular violent crime/murder can be more brutal than another if death or serious injury is the end result of it.<<<

it gets out of hand far easier here. small tiny things result in extreme brutality.

Guest lazyphil

So really your talking about the cause (minor) not relating to the act (sevre)--rather than general acts of violence being more brutal in bkk to London--Things are more measured here your saying :: ::

yeah, and often there is no foreplay - look the wrong guy in the eyes, and it goes off, with anything that is available. and i am serious here - just one brief look in the eyes is enough.

Sounds like the States were the word road rage originated. London is nothing compared to some metropolitan US cities such as New Yotk City.

As for Bangkok, Bangkok has a large population (reported and not reported) and when compared to cities of comparable size, I would say that the violent crime is less.

Guest lazyphil

Yes, I've felt much less at ease in US citys after dark and not the usual suspects like NYC, Los Angeles (and Bangkok) I stopped off in Fresno, CA enroute to Kings Canyon NP and this place had a zoo like feel about it, sorry if anyone is from Fresno, I'm sure its got nice aspects to it!

>>>I would say that the violent crime is less. <<<

then i would advise you to listen to the police radio and watch thai news.

just because it feels safer does not mean that it actually is safe.

Guest lazyphil

I think the police in Thailand pose a big threat to safety dont you think?--4000 murders in the war on drugs. Tourists (maybe civililians too?) are safer in bkk than say Rio, Lima, Jo-burg or Mexico City, I would have thought.

Have always been careful with my drink after having had something slipped into mine back when I first arrived in Thailand. Fortunately the intention was to keep me awake, not knock me out.

Seems like we read these sorts of stories every 6 months or so. Best to keep one's drink with you at all times, especially in a place with freelancers that can be tracked back to a specific bar.

Archived