Stoopid @#$!$#%@% US Embassy!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K-3 is the "shortcut" (although not so damn short :)) method of bringing a family member (wife and/or kids) to the US while waiting for the I-130 ( application for permanant residence) to be adjudicated in the US. It begins by filing a I-129F petition with the USCIS in the US through the National Benefits Center in Missouri. After it is approved, which is taking 3-5 months now, it is finally routed to the embassy in BKK where the wife can apply for the K-3. Basically the same as a fiance visa in process except it is for those already legally married. Before this type visa was approved several years ago, the wife had to remain in her home country until the I-130 was adjudicated, which could be up to 2-3 years. :(

They will not accept it Monday as they are closed.

On Friday, May 28, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in

Bangkok, including the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit and

the visa units, will be CLOSED for routine services (other than

previously scheduled appointments).

In addition, the Embassy will be closed for Memorial Day on

Monday, May 31. Normal operations will resume on Tuesday, June 1.

"Could you explain their circumstances? Sounds pretty unreal to me."

One was a wife of an American NEP forum boardmember, One was a ex- student of mine who was schooled in Canada, the other was an fiancee of a guy I know who works as an EFL teacher at a good Bangkok school. SO you had quiet a range of girls from a previous bargirl to an upper class thai. But they all had connections to the US in some form of relationship. I believe they gave it to them based on their relationship to the american men

"The ten year was probably given to avoid having to do the interview again as it must have been obvious that they could afford regular trips"

I would presume that the AMericans considered these women low risk and dont want to waste resources on them at future interviews, security checks. Just do it once and let them stay and concentrate resources on other people.

If you are petitioning to bring a legal Thai wife to the US and you are a resident of Thailand, you do a direct consular filing. That means you file the I-130 with the USCIS/INS office in Bangkok. This bypasses the lengthly wait when filing the petition in the US. If approved, direct consular filing provides immediate permanent residence in the US. This option is only available if you are a resident of Thailand. Anyone else will have to file the 130 at their USCIS service center in the US and then if you do not want to wait for the 130 to be approved before bringing your spouse to the US, file a I-129F (K3), which allows her to travel to the states to await the approval of the I-130. You cannot file for DCF if you are only a visitor in Thailand.

New Petchburi Pete said:

O.K.

... and suadum hasn't answered the question ... it was my understanding that the K-3 could only be filed in one's home country ... I can always call the Embassy & ask ... when they're open of course.

Hi Pete,

Since I live here, and have for years, I can file here. Requirement is minimum one-year residence abroad. I have no address in the States. They verified this through my passport and tax records.

I believe that the class we are going for is IR-2 (at least that is what is marked on the appointment paper) but I cannot find that on the visa-types list. I think that the PR status will be immediately granted (they required greed card pix to be submitted as well), so the K-3 does not make sense?

Heck, I do not know...

Cheers,

SD

bologna said:

Girlfriend got to the embassy nice and early today to turn in the DS-230 part I and the security told her they were not accepting visa forms today. Only performing interviews?? Funny thing is that the form has an expiration date of 5/31(holiday) and my girlfriend thinks they will not accept the form on Monday or Tuesday. Let the frustrations begin!!!

Yup, the mistake was getting there early. They only accept forms from 1300-1500, hence my warning to read the post :dunno:.

I noticed that expiry date, but do not think that it will be a problem. But then again, I prolly should not think when dealing with these folks LOL!

Feel free to give a call and we can discuss experiences (if you are still here is LoS)

Cheers,

SD

If you are petitioning to bring a legal Thai wife to the US and you are a resident of Thailand, you do a direct consular filing. That means you file the I-130 with the USCIS/INS office in Bangkok.

Yes and no. DCF is not allowed in Thailand for anyone. DCF is filing direct with the Consulate Officer. On the other hand Bangkok has a BCIS office and residents of Thailand can file there, as you say; but that is not the same thing as DCF.

Archived